× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 will not shut down or reboot

mjp08123
Aspirant

Readynas 104 will not shut down or reboot

Hi Guys,

Having another problem with my readynas 104 where the system will not shut down. When I tell the device to shut down or reboot, the screen displays either 'Rebooting, See You Soon' or 'Shutting Down, Goodbye'. The system then never seems to actually shut down and double pressing the power button does nothing. I left my system in the 'Shutting Down, Goodbye' state for 7 hours to see if it was running some kind of shutdown check but the message was still there. Therefore, the only way can restart the system is by pulling the power, which is not great!

My logs look like this (I pulled the power around 8:38)

Sat Aug 30 2014 8:38:27
System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Miscellaneous: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot 'c_1409205612' from share or LUN 'istat'.
Miscellaneous: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot 'c_1409209215' from share or LUN 'istat'.
Sat Aug 30 2014 8:38:26
Miscellaneous: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot 'c_1409212820' from share or LUN 'istat'.
Fri Aug 29 2014 23:42:16
System: System is shutting down.

Additionally, there's another component to my issue in that when I turn off an app via the app screen, if I try to restart it I never get the popup saying the app is initialising and the app will never load, therefore the only way for me to restart an app if the system crashes is to turn it off / on, resulting in the problem above! not sure if these two issues are linked?

Finally, my antivirus definition only seems to update when I do a hard reset, not sure if that's because they only update when you cycle the power or whether this is forming part of the issue!

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks (and sorry if this isn't the right forum for this!)
Message 1 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 104 will not shut down or reboot

What services are you running?

Do you use iSCSI?

What apps do you have installed?

Can you send me your logs?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/misc/how_do_i_send_all_logs
Message 2 of 24
XAffi
Aspirant

Hi.
I have the same issue here. Do you have a solution?
I am running also an RN104 with the latest Firmware 6.2.3 Beta5. But I had this also withthe release 6.2.2.

Thanks.
Norbert
Message 3 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see my post above)?
Message 4 of 24
XAffi
Aspirant

shall I try the reboot before sending the logs?
Message 5 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That would be good. Thanks
Message 6 of 24
XAffi
Aspirant

I'm @work right now. Will do it today evening.
Thanks.
Message 7 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see this in the logs:

Feb 17 17:28:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:29:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:30:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:31:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:32:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:33:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:34:02 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:35:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:36:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:37:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:38:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:39:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Feb 17 17:40:01 Nas104-Serv cron[1351]: (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)
Message 8 of 24
Kardano1
Guide

Same problem, RN104, services: afp, cifs, ftp, uPNP, http, https, ReadyDLNA, SSH. Antivirus is Off.apps: BTsync, PHP, linux dash, PHPsysinfo, SMB plus. restart OK, on says Shutting Down, Goodbye. and nothing. power switch blinking only. Ping no. no switch off (shutdown) FW 6.2.3.;

I downloaded logs after power cycling. Trying again... ..and it shut down correctly. I download logs again, Can anyone help me with possible cause of not shuting down? I'm not expert in linux/debian. Thanks.
Message 9 of 24
Nimnul
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Any attempt to reboot, results in that I have to pull the plug. 

The only thing that happens is that display says "Rebooting, see you soon" thats it. 

Also, browsing content is extremely slow. I have a good gigabit network. No apps running. 

Using FW 6.2.5

Message 10 of 24
g7rp0
Aspirant

Got the same probelm here too.

Firmware ver 6.4.0 (never had this problem prior to this FW update.

Ran disk check from boot menu, that ran fine

Have completely trashed the box and allowed it to resync data then restored everything back to it

Still its there with the power light flashing indefinately, have to hard power it down which is far from ideal

*EDIT*

Interestingly reboots and shutdowns work fine from the UI, just scheduled and pressing the power button doesnt,

Message 11 of 24
Mr_F
Aspirant

Same issue here, and it would seem this is a growing problem since the last firmware release.

I have tried OS re-installs and even the USB boot (as i was having power up issues too, stuck in re-booting mode)

Come on Netgear... fix the bloody issue, or do I have to order my Synology NAS now?

Message 12 of 24
g7rp0
Aspirant

And its back again, after spending 3 days allowing the disks to recsync after a factory reset and wipe, then rebuilding from my NV2+ which interestingly doesnt experience any of the shutdown problems and has drives which arent on the supported list but just works.

This 104 has now decided it doesnt want to play again hangining with the blue lights flashing waiting for god knows wha so the POS will shut down.

As Previosuly said everyhing was fine before it installed the new firmware which knackered it.

When is there going to be a replacement for 6.4.0 So  can install this and hopefully bin this crap update?

Message 13 of 24
Mr_F
Aspirant

OK, so no answer from Netgear and 10 days with problems.

I've found a fix !!!   Just bought me a Synology NAS, time to junk this Netgear POS 😞

Message 14 of 24
roku
Aspirant

yep same problem here... scheduled shutdown doesnt shutdown the NAS 6.4.0 RN104 propery.

Newest F/W update was the worst.

Netgear, get off your a** and fix this issue with a patch.

Message 15 of 24
g7rp0
Aspirant

What model Synology?

Message 16 of 24
jangoloti
Apprentice

g7rp0 said:

"Interestingly reboots and shutdowns work fine from the UI, just scheduled and pressing the power button doesnt"

I have the same problem with my RN2143E: First time it happened when I pushed the front button and I by chance had the Netgear engineer at the phone for other issue, he told me to switch off from the back of the unit.

Today it just did not shut down with the scheduled shutdown at 22h00, and showed the same effects as the first day: LAN1 LED blinking, Power button solid amber.

I will wait a bit, reboot, keep the logs and shut it down myself from the UI.

EDIT: I realized afterwards that I had the UI page open on my Mac, requesting to close it and wait for the lights to go off: Can it be that the NAS waits really for the page to be closed before shutting down?

Message 17 of 24
akrasia
Aspirant

I was on chat to Netgear for over an hour today about this. They checked my logs, tried to force the issue, and their response:

"Kent: A new firmware will be released soon, so updating your firmware should address this."

That's it. Oh, and "disable the anti-virus", which I have, and does nothing.

NOT IMPRESSED.

Message 18 of 24
Mattgrav
Aspirant

Is there a fix for this yet? I bought a 104 at Christmas and have latest fw 6.4.1 but have never been able to shut it down or reboot it either from ui or front panel? If i can't resolve this soon I too will be sending this back.
Message 19 of 24
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mattgrav,

Welcome to the community!

Try loading the latest RC Beta Firmware 6.4.2 and let us know if it fixes your issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 24
Mattgrav
Aspirant

Hi BrianL, thanks for the link. Upgraded firmware, still won't shutdown, only app I am running is plex, no AV. Tried from the panel and the ui. Even ssh shutdown won't work, it just hangs. This is really frustrating, can I downgrade the fw to a version that works? Any help appreciated thanks.
Message 21 of 24
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mattgrav,

Most of these issues were addressed already with the Firmware that was publicly released. Since you are still entitled to technical assistance, I suggest that you take advantage of it to further diagnose this problem that you've experienced. You can keep us up to date on what's going on by posting on this thread.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 24
DaggerDirk
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS NV+ also will not shutdown or restart via UI. Netgear has totally lost the plot IMHO. QNAP and D-Link and Tera never give these hassles. WOFTAM Netgear.

Message 23 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@DaggerDirk wrote:

My ReadyNAS NV+ also will not shutdown or restart via UI.

If you want assistance, then open a new thread. 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements