× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 214: all 4 drives listed as inactive after firmware update

hillbs
Aspirant

Readynas 214: all 4 drives listed as inactive after firmware update

Earlier this week, I tried to update the firmware of my  Readynas 214, (4 bay, 4 8tb drives.  Raid 5) from 6.9.3 to 6.94.  The update process stalled and the update didn't finish.  After 24 hours, the led screen said for awhile the progress was 94% and the message on the screen was  Flush_epd_write.  With the process stalled and I couldn't restart it or stop the system, I tried to shut it down gracefully with the power button.  It did nothing.  All I could do was unplug the system.  When I rebooted it, I couldn't (and still can't) access any of my files.  Is there anything I can do to access the files?

The good news is my NAS isn't dead.  I can boot it regularly, connect to it on the admin page, and even see the NAS's shares/folders in windows file explorer (I'm running widows 10 home, 64 bit version).  However, when I click on a share/folder I get an error message that windows cannot access it.  Also, on the admin page, there are several different error messages that all four volumes are inactive.  The admin page or my computer doesn't seem to recognize them or be able to access them.  The error messages say that no volume exists and I need to remove the volumes to use the disks.  The say I need to create a volume to do anything with the drives (which I believe would essentially reset/erase the drive). 

Not sure what (if anything) will either get the NAS to function like it did before the update , or can "unlock" the volumes/hard drives and get anything off of the them.  I'm worried the only way I can get it to work is a factory reset, and then I'll lose everything off the drive.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 214: all 4 drives listed as inactive after firmware update

The safest path is to contact paid support (my.netgear.com).   They might be able to simply mount the volume, though it is possible that you would need data recovery.

Message 2 of 8
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@hillbs

Could do you please enable secure diagnostic  in NAS admin GUI and PM me 5 digit number?

Let us remote access to check the problem.

RAIDar Secure diagnostic
https://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0
or enable secure diagnostic in NAS admin GUI =>System=>Settings=>Support

Message 3 of 8
hillbs
Aspirant

Thanks.  I'll set that up and PM you when I get home.

I appreciate your help!

Message 4 of 8
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@hillbs

I remote access your NAS and find filesystem is failed, so data volume can't be mounted after NAS reboot.

Your case is same as https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Lost-all-disks-after-firmware-6-9-4-upgrade/m-p...

Could you please create a support case?

https://www.netgear.com/support/

it takes time to recovery data.

root@HillsReadyNAS:~# btrfsck /dev/md127
checksum verify failed on 18182239846400 found AB26D242 wanted 00000000
bytenr mismatch, want=18182239846400, have=0
Couldn't setup log root tree
ERROR: cannot open file system

Message 5 of 8
hillbs
Aspirant

Thanks a ton for doing this.  I'll contact support asap.

Four quick questions:

1. I don't have a support service.  Do they charge an initial diagnosis fee before they can even tell you if they can do anything and the price of doing their service?
  2. I don’t' have a backup.  (yes, stupid me).  Will the gearhead technicians be able to extract files without one?
  3. If my filesystem failed and my hard disks are fine, do you think my files are (mostly) there and just my NAS can't access them without a recovery service?
  4. If I do try recovery (I'm not sure I have the $$), in the meantime can I remove the current hard drives and anew?  I.e. Do the hard drives need to remain with the system to properly recover the files on them.

I really appreciate all of your help.  I've been trying to decide what I can/should do and trying to balance $$ vs losing my files (doing a factory reset and starting over).  I've read a bunch of the forum messages on the topic (and outside sources) and I'm still trying to figure what my options are (much less the $/file trade off). You knocked off what I hoped would be an option (a restore was possible).  So, that gives me a better picture/idea of my options and limits what I have to do more research on.

Is there anywhere I can rate your assistance or let people know how helpful you are?

-bsh

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@hillbs wrote:

Will the gearhead technicians be able to extract files without one?

You don't want gearhead for this. Go to https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx and then click on "get help on my NETGEAR product". Your NAS needs to be registered to do this.

You could ask about per-incident support, but I think that's a long shot - they likely will require you to purchase data recovery services.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 7 of 8
hillbs
Aspirant

Just a quick update:  I filled out a a ticket.  Essentially becuase my technical support expired, they said they can't talk about the problem much even giving me a ballpark quote until I pay and upfront fee or buy a service.

Unfortunately, I really can't afford a service, so paying an upfront fee seem worthless.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank you for your help.    

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements