× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 422 Rsync error

R800MON
Aspirant

Readynas 422 Rsync error

I have an issue with two of my existing Backups which i am unable to resolve. The host is a Readynas 422 and the remote nas is also a 422.

The only that has changed recently in my setup is a update to the firmware to 6.9.4 on both devices at the end of December. Since then i have been unable to backup carryout two of my sheduled backups and recieve the follow errors

Backup Job Name: *****

Docs Backup
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [******-PC-Documents]/
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/5.69.1.178::*******PCDOCS
Backup Start Time: Wed Jan 09 2019 11:46:34 AM
Backup Finish Time: Wed Jan 09 2019 12:22:26 PM
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Help much appreciated

Failed to run rsync, return rc 10
'rsync' command returns rc=10

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 422 Rsync error

You appear to be backing up over the ReadyCloud VPN - is that the case?

Message 2 of 6
R800MON
Aspirant

No I sync my document files and folders via Readycloud over VPN, the backup is via Rsync.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@R800MON wrote:

No I sync my document files and folders via Readycloud over VPN, the backup is via Rsync.

5.69.1.178 is in the backup entry you posted, and it appears to be a ReadyCloud VPN address.  It's hard to be certain, since Netgear is hijacking 5.x.x.x addresses for ReadyCloud (these used to be assigned for experimental use, but were reclaimed by IANA when IPv4 addresses started running out).

Can you confirm that 5.69.1.178 is the correct internet IP address of the destination? It appears to be hosted by skybroadband.com.

Message 4 of 6
R800MON
Aspirant

Yes this is the correct IP address.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It is rather unusual to see a static address and not a ddns name as the backup destination for an off-site NAS. FWIW, rsync over ssh is a more secure backup choice for over-the-internet backups since it is encrypted.

One option is to downgrade back to 6.9.3 and see if the backups start working again.

If all backups going to the remote 422 are failing, I'd also check the port forwarding on the remote system, and make sure that the local NAS IP address hasn't changed.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements