× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas DUO down, no access at all - due to resync?

petter08
Aspirant

Readynas DUO down, no access at all - due to resync?

Hi,

I need some help to access my Readynas duo. It has been running smoothly for about a year, and suddenly, without me doing any changes/add-ons I can't access it through my network (my computer is still on the same network as the NAS), RAIDar can't find it and I can't even ping it (I have given it a static IP on my private network).

I'm up to date on the last RAIDiator 4.1.9, and I have 2 x 2TB harddrives in Raid 1 for redundancy with approx 850GB data on them.

The timeline is as follows:

August 25 (7 in the morning)
I receive an email from my Readynas Duo:

"A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity.  It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in  FrontView ).  The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime."

I started a resync through frontview around 9 in the morning. Something I have done several times before when the Rnas Duo said I should. I just left it on doing that and it said it'd take about 9 hours. I left it running all through the saturday and on sunday morning, watching some videos on it through my laptop while it started the resync. After almost 24 hours I couldn't access it through the shares, Raidar or ping it.

August 26 (at 2 in the afternoon)
Mail from the Readynas Duo : "Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors.  Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon." - comment: it said channel "??".

Since I could't access it and couldn't find any help on the forums of a way to address the issue I yanked the power cord of the Nas - simulating a power outage. 🙂 Then I restarted the NAS and RAIDar could see it again, and the shares came back.

It started to do a volume check since it wasn't turned on properly, and through Raidar I saw that it wanted to continue with the resync, which it said was at 35% and needed 8 hours more. (I also received an email from the NAS saying that "RAID sync started on volume C"). This was strange I thought, but let it work through the day. I streamed some videos after the volume check was done straight after - all good.

In the evening, I again couldn't access it. Leaving it until late monday evening the 27th. Where I still couldn't access shares, locate it through Raidar or ping it. I thought it might be a longer resync needed then I expected and it told me so I left it until wednesday 29, where I again yanked the cord.

Same as last time, it worked again directly after it booted up, and it said it was still resyncing (!). I used it in the evening and then in the morning it didn't work again like before - no raidar, ping or shares.

September 1 (10 in the morning)
Yanked the power, let it do a volume check and then I reinstalled RAIDiator 4.1.9 and start a resync. Looking good so far. Could access it (Raidar, frontview, shares and ping)

September 1 (6 in the evening)
Same as before : no access through frontview, no shares showing up, RAIDar not seeing the NAS and pinging doesn't give a response.

I can't find any help in the forum or searching the net. Can someone please help me, is it a problem with RAIDiator 4.1.9 for Sparc? Should I try rolling back a version? 4.1.9. has worked fine for over a month until now. Is it hardware related?

I'm stomped!
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas DUO down, no access at all - due to resync?

It's been telling you that you have a hard drive issue since the 25th of August. It is likely to be correct.

Did you check the disk health when it was running? Any idea which drive might be bad?

If not, try powering down and checking the drives with vendor tools on a PC.
Message 2 of 7
petter08
Aspirant

There wasn't anything about the disk health besides the strange email which didn't indicate which channel might be having problems. I looked at the logs, and it was just that. The volume check's haven't reported anthing.

I'm thinking a harddrive error isn't responsible for not being able to ping the NAS or access it through Frontview.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The system boots from the hard drives, so failures there could possibly cause odd problems. Did you check the disk health / SMART+ stats when you checked the logs?

In any event, given that the disks have been strangely resyncing for a while now, with I/O errors reported, I would still begin by testing them with vendor tools. Make sure you power down the NAS before removing/inserting drives, and also that you label the disks so you can put them back in their proper slot.

I'd also open an on-line support ticket.

Don't attempt to roll back to older firmware (there's no easy way to do that, since the system is inaccessible).
Message 4 of 7
petter08
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I'll try to figure out a way to run some vendor tools on them. It's WD-drives, so I'm guessing they have something I could use.

The health says "OK" on both drives, but I can't interpret the SMART+ status. Maybe you or someone else can? See below.

Being a newbie here I'm not familiar with opening a support ticket, but I'll figure it out. 🙂
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Open a case at my.netgear.com

Looking at those SMART stats there's possibly a problem with disk 1. However do check the disks properly using WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
Looking at those SMART stats there's possibly a problem with disk 1. However do check the disks properly using WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic
Yes.

The specific SMART stats that lead to that conclusion are "Raw Read Error Rate", "Current Pending Sector", "Offline Uncorrectable" and "Multi Zone error rate"

The extended attributes (showing the 4 resets and retries) are also concerning - though you already knew there were resets from the log. Note the extended attributes are detected by the NAS firmware, the SMART statistics are detected by the drive itself (and are saved on the drive).

Disk 2 shows the resets, but I am thinking that Disk 1 is much more likely. Even if Lifeguard passes the drive, it still might be causing your problems.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements