× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo Factory reset and boot

masa2
Tutor

Readynas Duo Factory reset and boot

I want to reset my Readynas to factory defaults. I held down reset button 30 seconds and Disk 1 & 2 leds flashed a few times.

I did this with these instructions:

Duo / NV / NV+ / X6/600

To perform an OS Re-install or Factory Default, this is managed via the Reset button on the back of the chassis.

Locate the reset pinhole.
ReadyNAS X6/600: the pinhole is on the back in the lower left corner.
ReadyNAS Duo/NV/NV+: the pinhole is next to the USB port in the back.
Get a straightened paper clip and depress the hidden switch in the pinhole while the power is off, and then power on the ReadyNAS.

To perform other options such as Skip Volume Check, Tech Support Mode, and Memory Test, this is managed via the Power button.

With the system off, hold down the Power button, and wait for the desired LED flashes.
Release the Power button when the option you desire is active.

Now my disk 2 led is lit and power led is blinking fast. Also raidar won't find it.

I reseted this 10 minutes ago so is there a problem and what to do?
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas Duo Factory reset and boot

Bad disks detected indicates that one or more disks is bad. A factory reset would fail due to the one or more bad disks.

I would suggest removing the disks (label order) and connecting them to an internal SATA port in your PC and checking them using vendor tools

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Are you sure you have a Duo or is it a Duo v2 ? How to tell look here > http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/
Message 2 of 9
masa2
Tutor

Yes I checked and I'm sure
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does RAIDar still not find it?
Message 4 of 9
masa2
Tutor

It also won't turn off of the power button. So I unplugged the cord and restarted it. It stopped that blinking and now RAIDar finds it but it did not reset.

The reason I wanted the factory defaults because the RAIDar says "Bad disks detected" and I wanted to test if reseting would do any good.
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Bad disks detected indicates that one or more disks is bad. A factory reset would fail due to the one or more bad disks.

I would suggest removing the disks (label order) and connecting them to an internal SATA port in your PC and checking them using vendor tools
Message 6 of 9
masa2
Tutor

Is it because of bad disks that I cant even connect to control panel?

I did a long scan with Seagatetools for DOS to my Seagate 1 TB drive and found 76 errors. It repaired them all and then the test passed. Now I have to do this with the other Western Digital drive...
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes

If SeaGate is the bad disk (other disk passes tests) try booting with just other disk in NAS (same slot as before)
Message 8 of 9
masa2
Tutor

Now I got that booted and I logged in to control panel. but I only see that Seagate hardrive. I have also WD Caviar 1TB.
Disk 1 led is lit but not disk 2.

I tried unplugging the harddrive and back in but no use. I also did a quick test with WD life guard diagnostics tool.

Now it recognized it and gave me an error when logging in.

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 911 Current count: 912 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 0% of 925 GB used

Now this is RAID but is it possible to get two different drives and 2 TB drivespace?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements