× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas OS 6 Massive Performance Decrease

Commander_Cody
Aspirant

Re: Readynas OS 6 Massive Performance Decrease

I'm pretty sure TLER doesn't matter in a NAS as it's software RAID anyway.

Are you able to factory default with the new OS on your new disks as a test?
As far as I know upgrading from EXT4 to BTFS is unpredictable.
If you can start as BTFS from the get go it should be more reliable.
Message 26 of 49
StephenB
Guru

Commander_Cody wrote:
I'm pretty sure TLER doesn't matter in a NAS as it's software RAID anyway...
AFAIK software raid controller vs hardware raid controller doesn't really matter. If the response to a read or write request takes too long, because the drive is busy reallocating a sector, or retrying a read request, then there will be problems maintaining the RAID array as a whole with reasonable performance.
Message 27 of 49
ihartley
Tutor

Exactly, a drive with TLER will drop out of any RAID array. Been there, got the T-shirt. I'm not sure what the spinny magnetic disk industry have been doing for the last 10 years, other than cramming more bits on the disk. There's no 12 platter drives, drive with multiple heads/platter, anything innovative. Best was the hybrid Momentus drives that were quickly superceded....

Now that you can easily saturate SATA with a SSD array, one wonders if spin tech is dead... Or maybe now they'll start doing some serious R&D!
Message 28 of 49
StephenB
Guru

ihartley wrote:
...one wonders if spin tech is dead...
Interesting question.

http://www.trefis.com/stock/stx/article ... 2013-02-28 claims that the hard drive industry will shrink by by $4 billion this year (over 10%). That's due to the drop off in PC sales and the falling prices of SSD.

I don't think that is stoppable myself. Though it isn't clear when that trend starts to affect network storage. I'm thinking we are still quite a way from affordable 4-5 TB SSD.

I am not convinced that RAID makes a lot of sense for SSD - they fail in different ways from traditional disks, and my guess is that the array is even more likely to see near-simultaneous failures.
Message 29 of 49
ihartley
Tutor

RAID for SSDs makes no sense at all in it's current sense; but storage strategies implementing multiple SSDs do. SATA3 makes no sense at alll, we need a step change. Increased IOPs and throughput with the right interfaces. Spinning storage currently has limitations from physics; in less than 5 years it will be dead unless something happens; too much power, too little storage, too much money.

Remember history repeats itself: the floppy disk....?
Message 30 of 49
StephenB
Guru

ihartley wrote:
RAID for SSDs makes no sense at all in it's current sense; but storage strategies implementing multiple SSDs do...
I agree completely. Even in an SSD world, there's a need to have your file system span multiple drives, and also to be able to recover data when disks fail. But current RAID isn't the answer.

ihartley wrote:
Spinning storage currently has limitations from physics..
I wouldn't count spinning storage out yet, we have 5 TB drives apparently coming out this year. And consumer-grade SSD has its issues also (in addition to the price).

ihartley wrote:
...Remember history repeats itself: the floppy disk...
I'd happily let spinning storage go, when some better comes along. It's been quite a while since I needed to dust off my floppy drive, and I certainly don't miss it. 😄
Message 31 of 49
blumman
Aspirant

I have a Ultra 4 Plus and with 4.2.22 I had read/write speeds close to 100 MB/s with 4xWD20EARS (Green). I have now replaced those with 4xWD40EFRX (Red) and updated to 4.2.24, I'm noticing a small performance decrease. I'm now seeing speeds in the 75-80MB/s range. I don't know if it's the new firmware or the disks. According to various storage reviews that I have read the Red's are suppose to be a little bit faster. In any event that's not why I'm posting.

Due to Debian Etch being an old OS I'm no longer able to use certain Debian Etch repositories, which lead me to think that it might be worth trying ReadyNAS OS6. What's your take on it so far besides the performance decrease? Is it "worth" upgrading?
Message 32 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With vertical expansion (assuming you replaced the disks one by one) you would have an additional RAID layer which would probably mean some performance hit.

You could backup your data and try ReadyNAS OS. If you don't like it you could downgrade again (I can supply an image to downgrade, and this would also require a factory default).
Message 33 of 49
blumman
Aspirant

No I created a new volume from scratch but I just remembered that haven't gone through the optimization guide yet (was quite some time I ago I setup the NAS originally).

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... erformance

If you could provide me with the downgrade that would be awesome. I have my data backed up. I'm just in the transition of restoring but I think I'd like to try out OS 6. Etch is EoL and is just causing me problems in terms of working with the CLI. I'm already doing unsupported stuff so what the heck. 🙂
Message 34 of 49
Bob_K
Tutor

You're not alone, hando. I just upgraded my Ultra 4 to OS 6.1.9. With OS 4 I could obtain 60-80 MBps on writes of very large files. With OS 6, I'm barely getting 25-30 MBps. XRAID. I turned off Checksum copying and Antivirus checking. I haven't made any other software or hardware changes. Weird.
Message 35 of 49
StephenB
Guru

Bob K, try turning off the snapshots and see if that helps.
Message 36 of 49
Pasala
Aspirant

Is there anything new concerning the speed issue?

Pro Prioneer NAS with 6x 3TB drives in XRAID2 and 6.2.0 beta firmware can only pump 30-50 MB/s. 😞

Are there tweaks to get it to back 100 MB/s like it was with the old RAIDiator firmware?
Message 37 of 49
StephenB
Guru

Are you reading or writing?
Message 38 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your volume redundant? If the array is syncing performance will be slower than usual.
Message 39 of 49
Pasala
Aspirant

30 - 50 MB/s is write speed with smb and a Linux client.

The read speed with a Mac OS X client and afp is at a very good 100+ MB/s.
The write speed with Mac and afp is higher too.
So it is probalby a SAMBA or Linux issue.

Anti Virus and snapshots are turned off with just the new ( OS 6.2.0 beta ) bitrot protection.

If it runs stable it will be probably ok.

Regards.
Message 40 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Bitrot protection does have an impact on write speed, as when files are written it needs to calculate the checksum etc.
Message 41 of 49
Pasala
Aspirant

Thank you for the tip. Yes.
Tried it with bitrot protection and without it and with deactivated checksum on the volume.
But there was no difference.
Maybe it is Linux and/or SAMBA issue.

But again if the system runs stable for now it will be probably ok.
Message 42 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Another possibility is that especially as 6.2 is a beta there could be some performance issues for certain use cases that might be resolved in a future beta.

Can you create a new share with the checksum, bit-rot and snapshots all disabled from the start and see if performance is any different?
Message 43 of 49
Pasala
Aspirant

Ok. So a new share with:
disabled checksum, bitrot protection and snapshots
the write speed with smb on a Linux client is: 25 - 49 MB/s
the read speed is: 55 MB/s

the write speed with afp on a Mac OS X client is 50 - 90 MB/s
the read speed 70 - 100 MB/s

It's a ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer 6x 3TB XRAID2 and Gbit LAN.
Message 44 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So it definitely sounds like it is related to SMB and the Linux client.

Have you tested e.g. NFS performance with Linux?

If you get the UID and GID of a user on your Linux PC to match that of one on the NAS you may find that using NFS provides much better performance for accessing the NAS from your Linux client.
Message 45 of 49
Pasala
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip.
No haven't tried NFS, but will do so in the future.

Another question: The ReadyNAS Pro Prioneer Edition runs with a 1.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB C2D Intel CPU.
Is the Intel E6750 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB C2D compatible with this NAS?
http://ark.intel.com/de/products/30784/ ... 33-MHz-FSB
Message 46 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you download your logs, what is the date in bios_ver.log ?

There is a long running thread on CPU upgrades which should have the information you need: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284
Message 47 of 49
Pasala
Aspirant

The bios is: bios_date=07/26/2010

Thanks for the link.
Message 48 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is the latest BIOS for your unit. That thread has info on CPUs others have tried.
Message 49 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements