× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas RN314 during firmware update hangs during reboot process, what to do?

Micmap
Aspirant

Readynas RN314 during firmware update hangs during reboot process, what to do?

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me with what to do. I wanted to update the readynas firmware (for readycloud->mynetgear account migration).

It downloaded the firmware. But after I clicked reboot in readycloud the nas is stuck in reboot mode.

The led keeps blinking, the display says 'rebooting see you soon' But it's been like this for 15 minutes already.

I'm worried to power down the nas manually, because this has happened before and I lost the consistency of my nas and everything had to be re-checked which took a long time!

(I have a RN314 with an eda500 expansion unit)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0yZHHFpr9QOMHVLZkg3NXUzNlk/view?usp=sharing

Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0yZHHFpr9QOZXZ5U0RNR0pkcHc/view?usp=sharing

What to do? I dont want to lose my data of have the volumes checked for consistency because of this.

Thanks for helping out.

regards Mic

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas RN314 during firmware update hangs during reboot process, what to do?

Which firmware did you update from and to?

ReadyNAS OS 6.5.0 hasn't been released yet, so the migration to the new accounts isn't happening just yet. So I'm guessing you may have updated to 6.4.2 from some older firmware release?

You may wish to open an online support case.

Message 2 of 11
Micmap
Aspirant

Re: Readynas RN314 during firmware update hangs during reboot process, what to do?

Indeed the firmware update was from 6.?.? to 6.4.2

I left the nas untouched overnight, and it looks like it now has rebooted without problems. I only did take a lot of time apparently.

But it's operating normal again, and the admin page shows 6.4.2. as the installed firmware.

(checking for updates indeed indicates that there are no newer versions available)

But problem solved, will remember that re-booting can/will take a lot of time.

Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you first update to 6.4.x it can take a lot of time to calculate the quotas especially if you have a lot of snapshots. Now that you are running 6.4.x the update to 6.5.0 should be much quicker.

Message 4 of 11
Micmap
Aspirant

Ok so this week I started migrating from readycloud to mynetgear account.

And the nas started updating the firmware to 6.5...

But now it's the same problem, the NAS hangs during reboot, it's already been 36 hours. No idea if it is ever going to come out of it. But I dont dare to touch anything because I'm, afraid of losing data or corrupting the firmware.

So again my question is, what to do? Wait this one out?

Message 5 of 11
Micmap
Aspirant

NAS is still stuck and waiting to restart, please advice!

Can someone change this topic to unsolved? Or should I start a new thread?

I'm not touching the nas before I know what to do to resolve my problem.

I cannot reach the nas through the LAN interface, so I only have the buttons on the device to do something.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I revoked the solution...

Try downloading RAIDar 6, and see what status it gives.

If you purchased your RN314 new, then you might be entitled to lifetime chat support.  So you could also try support.netgear.com.

Message 7 of 11
Micmap
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.

I've tried Raidar, but it doesnt find anything. The mapped network drives on my desktop pc are also unavailable.

Readycloud says the nas is offline.

The NAS in turned ON, the blue power led is blinking, the text on the display says 'restarting now see you soon' It's been like this for days now.
So I guess the NAS is unreachable, I could turn off the power but I'm afraid what it wil do to the firmware update process .

Yes I've bought the NAS new, at what times is the chat support available?

Another question, first the quote:
When you first update to 6.4.x it can take a lot of time to calculate the quotas especially if you have a lot of snapshots. Now that you are running 6.4.x the update to 6.5.0 should be much quicker.

What exactly is the purpose of calculating the quotas? What does this proces do?

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Micmap wrote:

Yes I've bought the NAS new, at what times is the chat support available?

If you purchased between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016 you have lifetime chat support.  You can alternatively use email if you can't reach anyone with chat.  Go to support.netgear.com

@Micmap wrote:

What exactly is the purpose of calculating the quotas? What does this proces do? 

When OS6 first came out, the BTRFS quotas were still not ready for production use, so Netgear held off until that changed.

Starting with 6.4 firmware, OS 6 allows you to set quotas for each share.  BTRFS quotas also need to be turned on if you want to know how much space is being used for snapshots on a share-by=share basis.

The features are worthwhile, but it does slow down the upgrade process.  It might take more than a day, but it shouldn't really take several days.

Message 9 of 11
Micmap
Aspirant

I purchased in oct 2015 but according to the support info I only have lifetime email support. Chat support has already expired apparently.
But I've filed a email support ticket 🙂

Message 10 of 11
Micmap
Aspirant

Just a quick follow up, tech support contacted me and asked to reboot in tech support mode.

Since the NAS shut down without problems using the power button, I tried normal startup first. It booted without problems, and it looked like it installed the new firmware during boot.

I can access everything again, and everything looks good, system is healthy in the admin page. I hope this issue solved itself automatically.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements