× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas duo jumbo frame very slow

somark
Follower

Readynas duo jumbo frame very slow

Dear Community,

I have a Readynas Duo RND2000v1. I use it with one hard disk only.

Without Jumbo Frame, the copy speed is maximum 15.000 kb/s from a PC to the NAS.

With Jumbo Frame, the copying speed from a PC to NAS dramatically slows down instead of speeding it up. It is maximum 1.500 kb/s.

Regarding the fact, that the gigabit copy speed is at about 90.000 - 110.000 kb/s, the above mentioned values seems a little bit slow.

I use CAT5E cables and gigabit switch and router in the network, so it should't be the problem.

Firmware version is 4.1.16. I already tried to use an earlier firmware version too, but the situation is the same.

I tried to use it with an other hard disk, but speed is the same (too slow).

I also tried to use it at a completely different gigabit network area, but the speed is the same (too slow).

Do you have any idea what can be the problem and how I can speed up the little black box a little bit?

Thank you in advance for your help in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas duo jumbo frame very slow

@somark wrote:

Without Jumbo Frame, the copy speed is maximum 15.000 kb/s from a PC to the NAS.

This is pretty typical for this (very old) NAS. It is limited by it's processor, not by the network or disk speed.

@somark wrote:

With Jumbo Frame, the copying speed from a PC to NAS dramatically slows down instead of speeding it up. It is maximum 1.500 kb/s. 

Jumbo Frames don't always speed things up.  

But you could check the MTU size of your network using ping.  I suspect there is something on the path that doesn't support Jumbo Frames (or needs a smaller MTU).  If the packets are being fragmented, that will kill performance.

@somark wrote:

how I can speed up the little black box a little bit?

You can try using the options on the system->performance tab.

In particular,

• disable journaling
  • enable fast CIFS writes

Disabling journaling does create some risk if you don't use a UPS.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements