× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reboot Readynas Pro 4 automatically

soulseeker
Aspirant

Reboot Readynas Pro 4 automatically

Hi there,

is it possible to reboot the readynas pro 4 automatically after an loss of power? Currently there is no usv installed. I could't find any option in the main menue.

Thanks

Marcel
Message 1 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Reboot Readynas Pro 4 automatically

My understanding is that any x-86 based ReadyNAS should boot automatically after the application of power. It is part of the basic structure and is not configurable.

USV? Isn't that German for Uninterruptable Power Supply?

That would have no effect. If you shut you Pro 4 down normally. Unplug it. Then plug it back in after a short delay it should boot automatically. This is so if you have it in a remote locations on a UPS, and you lose power, the UPS if set up will send a signal to the NAS to shut down normally before total loss of power. Then when power is restored, the NAS will reboot.
Message 2 of 9
soulseeker
Aspirant

Yes, USV means UPS ;).

We had an power outage a few days ago, the nas went of power and didn't reboot automatically. So my thought was to use an ups to prevent the nas from crashing hard or if the power outage is longer to shut it softly down. Does the nas always shut down when connected to an ups? Or does it shut down only if the power outage is longer?

Sorry, but what do you mean by "this would have no effect"? For me this sounds like the solution. Connect UPS with nas, "wait" for power outage, nas shuts down "softly" and controlled, power is restored, nas reboots.
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

x86 ReadyNAS reboot automatically when power is restored provided they are not shutdown safely by a UPS.

If a supported UPS is connected the NAS will be shutdown safely if in addition to the power of the NAS being connected to the UPS, the NAS is also connected to the UPS via USB, SNMP or via another ReadyNAS (of course the network needs to be kept alive by a UPS for this to work). It will not reboot automatically when the power is restored if it is shutdown safely by a UPS.
Message 4 of 9
soulseeker
Aspirant

thank you, now I know 🙂
Message 5 of 9
MichaelR64
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
x86 ReadyNAS reboot automatically when power is restored provided they are not shutdown safely by a UPS.

If a supported UPS is connected the NAS will be shutdown safely if in addition to the power of the NAS being connected to the UPS, the NAS is also connected to the UPS via USB, SNMP or via another ReadyNAS (of course the network needs to be kept alive by a UPS for this to work). It will not reboot automatically when the power is restored if it is shutdown safely by a UPS.

Why does it not reboot automatically on power-restore when it is controlled by a UPS ?
This is exactly what i have at home: i had an power outage, the nas shut down gracefully because it is on a ups, but did not came up again.
I fail to see the logic here, the ups is for graceful shutdowns so my data is safe, and it should just come back again.

There is no risc here since it is on a UPS anyway !
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

UPS batteries can fail. So I strongly disagree with your statement of "no risk". I can't remember why, but I'm pretty sure there's some forum posts somewhere explaining why.
Message 7 of 9
MichaelR64
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
UPS batteries can fail. So I strongly disagree with your statement of "no risk". I can't remember why, but I'm pretty sure there's some forum posts somewhere explaining why.

But the risk of failure is just as big or lower than when it automatically starts when on normal power and not controlled by an ups ...

At least let me have a choice here ...
Message 8 of 9
MichaelR64
Aspirant

Or have it come up without powering up the harddisks.
When it detects a UPS it should then interrogate the ups first and only when that reports a charge of the battery of xx% then it should powerup the drives and make the nas available.
When it does not detect a ups it should just power up the nas just as it does normally.

That would be the safest then(although my question about failure with or without a battery still stands)
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements