× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recover data from backup 316 to 516 firmware 6.9.1

pgjscottieuk
Guide

Recover data from backup 316 to 516 firmware 6.9.1

Removed all drives from RN51600 6 x 4TB and replaced with 6 x 10TB drives

Backup is RN316 6 x 10TB drives

Having reset the main nas (516) back to as new i have been trying to get my data back from the 316 back up NAS i thought i could have just backed up the 316 - 516 recovering my files and once they were back on the mainNAS i could delete that backup process from the 316 and reconfigure a backup job from the 516 to the 316 i am at a loss and the only way i can see to transfer these files using Mac would be to open two finder windows connecting to the shares on the Nas and copy and paste the files 8TB worth which seems a bit crazy PLEASE help anyone

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Recover data from backup 316 to 516 firmware 6.9.1

Start by turning off the backup schedule on the backup NAS, since you don't want it to back up an empty NAS.

Are you using rsync backup jobs for each share?  If not, let us know exactly what you are doing.

Personally I use "pull" backups (running the backup jobs on the backup NAS).  If you do that, then just create the analogous "pull" backup jobs on the main NAS (pulling the files in each share over from the the backup).

Message 2 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

iI deleted the back up jobs on both nas the main nas is now fully redundent but empty yes i was using a backup job for each share but as i was saying i have deleted thos and gone back reversing the procedure unticking the Resync etc

So how do you do a pull backup job now i am in the mess im in with the files on the back up nas with in another fileScreen Shot 2017-12-12 at 04.58.55.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-12 at 04.58.39.pngthis shows file within a filethis shows file within a file

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

iI deleted the back up jobs on both nas

Are you saying you deleted them on the backup NAS?  The reset will of course delete everything, but if you didn't do a reset, then they should still be there.

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

So how do you do a pull backup job now i am in the mess im in with the files on the back up nas with in another file

Pull backups would be on the RN516.

Create a FILMS share on the RN516, and enable rsync as read/write.  A screenshot (for a different sharename) is below. 

Rsync Network Access.png

Also, look at the share settings for FILMSBACKUP on the RN316, and make sure RSYNC is enabled there (at least for read access).

Now create a new backup job on the RN516.  You'll need to fill in your RN316's IP address (I suggest not using it's host name). No angle brackets <> of course.  The rest of the screenshot should be filled in correctly.  Note for the local location, you use the "browse" button to navigate to the share.  If your volume name isn't data, then the location won't look exactly the same as the screenshot below.

rsync restore.png

Then click Next. Disable the schedule (by unchecking the check box), and then click Finish again. It will prompt, asking you if you want to link the backup job to the backup button.  Tell it "no".

Then try running the backup job, by clicking on the settings wheel next to the job on the backup page, and then choosing start.

Message 4 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

No i have not deleted the backup 316 yet i am still moving the files over hope to be finished some time tomorrow morning 

At that point i hope to reinstate the Plex media server on the 516 and test a movie

Once i know all is well in that area i will read back and print your advice information and suggestions and report back hopefully all is well and job done

Message 5 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi i tried the settings you posted for the other share exactly as you mention enabling RSYNC on both nas for the share MUSIC set up the backup on the 516 exactly as you had shown it and it faid have provided the screen shot of the problemScreen Shot 2017-12-13 at 20.30.56.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-13 at 20.36.28.png

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

Hi i tried the settings you posted for the other share exactly as you mention enabling RSYNC on both nas for the share MUSIC set up the backup on the 516 exactly as you had shown it and it faid have provided the screen shot of the problem

The path on the remote source was set up to deal with the FILMS\FILMS issue - it got rid of the unnecessary subfolder.  Does the Music folder also have that problem?

Also, pathnames for rsync are case-sensitive, so you do need to be careful to match the case exactly.  MUSIC is the same as music with SMB, but that's not the case for rsync.

Are you sure you used the right IP address for the RN316?

I might have misread your screenshots.  Is FILMSBACKUP the name of the backup NAS, or is it the name of a share on the backup NAS?

Maybe post screenshots of the backup job's source and destination tabs.

Message 7 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Yes the MUSIC folder has exactly the same problem and yes they are done both exactly the same on both machines they basically mirror each other as the 316 is purely a backup for the 516 and is used exclusively for that purpose all the shares are done in caps FILMSBACKUP is the name of the nas the main nas 516 is called FILMNIGHT and the 316 is called FILMSBACKUP

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

FILMSBACKUP is the name of the nas the main nas 516 is called FILMNIGHT and the 316 is called FILMSBACKUP

That explains it.

Try changing the sharename on the backup source from FILMSBACKUP/MUSIC to MUSIC/MUSIC

You should end up without the extra subfolder on the RN516.

Message 9 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Tried that still failedScreen Shot 2017-12-13 at 21.09.40.png

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You still have FILMSBACKUP in the path - that's the problem.

It should be just MUSIC/MUSIC

Message 11 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Have altered the source info to MUSIC/MUSIC and its working

As the other share is just over 50% if in the morning i do the same with the FILMS share what will it do about the films that have already been moved over will it do as it says in the title RESYNC in other words just move over the missing films or will it duplicate those

Thanks very much by the way for all your patience and efforft to help me sort this out

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

As the other share is just over 50% if in the morning i do the same with the FILMS share what will it do about the films that have already been moved over

It will copy them again, but you won't have any duplicate files - it will just over-write them.

Message 13 of 15
pgjscottieuk
Guide

By writing over them does that take up more space there  is 7.7TB of films there at the end would you still end up with the same usage 

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

By writing over them does that take up more space there  is 7.7TB of films there at the end would you still end up with the same usage 

Turn snapshots off on the RN516 share before you run it.  Then there will be no space increase.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements