× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote Access Issues

wagb4
Aspirant

Remote Access Issues

Having problems establishing remote access and the SW manual is not helping. I think I am confused as to how it should work, in other words, I think the problems I am having are with me, not the NAS (RN102 Firmware 6.1.8 ).

Before I go further, the videos available on the Help Software page don't load. They appear to be hyperlinks to Your Tube, but clicking on any video all I get is a never ending loading progress indication. Maybe the links are bad, or something.

Back to my issue - I cannot create new remote access users, the NAS reports the user already exists, but the user cannot access the NAS using either ReadyCloud or ReadyNAS Remote. I think I understand the difference between ReadyCloud and ReadyNAS Remote usage. ReadyCloud is a portal URL for access to the NAS via Internet using a Web browser. ReadyNAS Remote is only for MS Windows or Macintosh computers on which a client application gets installed for use in accessing the NAS when the client machine is connected to the Internet giving the remote user access using file manager and the ReadyDrop folder.

During initial setup of the NAS I used the ReadyCloud option and established an account. That account works and is enabled on the NAS for ReadyCloud & ReadyNAS Remote access; tested and works using ReadyCloud - not tested yet for ReadyNAS Remote. I created two local users on the NAS. Each has a private Home share and can access the NAS over the LAN (and see their private home shares) using either MS Windows and Linux. I enabled HTTP protocol on the public shares, in case that is necessary for access via the Internet, but I don't think that is needed (opinions welcome).

Attempting to establish accounts for ReadyCloud and for ReadyNAS Remote for the local users those access methods both report the user already exists. Why can I not allow those local users to have remote access via the Portal or Remote client software? I tried in ReadyNAS Remote to specify a different user name, but got the same error - User already exists. So the checking is not using just the username, must also be checking the email address. What if the person only has a single email address and wants to access the NAS via the LAN when at home and via the Internet when away from home? When accessing via the Internet the user should have access to their Home share, plus the public shares - shouldn't they? There is probably a clue to my woes in that User settings does not include a "Enable Remote Access" option for local NAS users. But the rationale excapes me.

I admit my testing so far has all been done while at home and the computer(s) are connected to the LAN. But that shouldn't matter, should it?

I installed the ReadyNAS Remote client on one MS Windows XP laptop. I am not sure I intend to use the client software method to access the NAS, the Portal method should be adequate for the rare times being away from home with the laptop. But I want to know how to access remotely and know it works when needed.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions or is there some better documentation on the subject available somewhere?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 3
RVTJR
Aspirant

Re: Remote Access Issues

hi,

Readynas remote and Readycloud uses the same username and password.

HTTP is not needed to access the shares remotely, CIFS is needed actually. FTP can also be enabled for readynas remote application.

About the error that user already exist, you may want to specify what username are you trying to create.. Based on my experience, you can use a single email address to create tons of usernames. 🙂 So the username should be unique. My email yields a lot of username name when I am querying email for readycloud invites.
Message 2 of 3
human102
Guide

Re: Remote Access Issues

Believe it or not, you have to get support to create those users for you at this time. I just went through all that too. arggggghhhhhh! Now after those accounts are created and logged on to the user default share/folder/directory is hidden from me "ADMIN"... and can only be seen by user.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements