× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing failed hard drive

gregh1
Aspirant

Replacing failed hard drive

I’ve had a disk failure but still have data and access fine.

I’d like to replace the disk drive to restore redundancy.

The working drive is a 1tb seagate barracuda. Can I simply buy whatever the current equivalent is and will that be recognised and work fine?
Model: RND2110v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacing failed hard drive

I think NAS-purposed drives are better choices than desktop models.  For instance the 1 TB Seagate Ironwolf, or the Western Digital WD10EFRX.  Mixing either with the Barracuda will be fine.

Message 2 of 5
espie
Guide

Red disks are generally better, yes... when I got my NAS, I was cheap, and I put in a black hd from my current desktop, along with two red disks. Guess which disk failed first ?...

From one of my friends, who's doing this for a living, I've got that it's generally better to buy similar disks from different vendors, if you're buying several disks at the same time.

Because there is a small probability of catastrophic failure, what if you get all disks from the same batch, and they all fail at about the same time, before you've recuperated from the first failure.

In any case, stopping all operations on a NAS as soon as a disk fails, and replacing the failed disk ASAP is best practice.

Message 3 of 5
BotanyBay
Tutor

I buy over a few months or different suppliers for the same reason. I have been very happy with the 10tb irobwolf drives. They do have a slowly increasing load cycle count which won't hit design life for 7 years and as I am living on a boat which moves the aggressive unloading of the heads is probably not a bad thing. I also allow the drives to sleep, in my 626 there have been no issues. I also have a couple in my old pro6 running OS 6 and they are great but I don't currently spun them down.
Message 4 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Had to read the above post again as "living on a boat" and "aggresive unloading of the heads" conjured up a very unsavoury mental picture.

Then I realised you were referring to your NAS drive heads..... Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements