× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rsync Backup to Mac OS X 10.5

meverz
Apprentice

Rsync Backup to Mac OS X 10.5

I have a RN104 that I would like to backup to an external drive attached to a PowerBook running OS X 10.5.

I thought it would be pretty straightforward to do using rsync, but for the life of me I cannot get it to work. I am stuck trying to even get the NAS to make the connection to the PowerBook.

I am using the following settings,

Host: 192.168.1.13
Protocol: remote: Rsync Server
Path: Backup

And then the login and password for the user account set up on the PowerBook

When I test the Connection, I get an error "Unable to Connect to Host" Code 7077010011

What am I doing wrong? Am I better off using a different protocol to backup the NAS? Or is rsync the best?

I can get it to backup via ftp to a usb drive attached to my router, but I would prefer backing up to my computer if I can.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Rsync Backup to Mac OS X 10.5

What version of Rsync is in OS X 10.5?

Do you have a Rsync secret configured called Backup on your Mac?
Message 2 of 6
meverz
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
What version of Rsync is in OS X 10.5?

mdgm wrote:
Do you have a Rsync secret configured called Backup on your Mac?

I haven't configured rsync at all on my mac. To be honest, I really have no idea how to go about it. So it probably best if I stick to one of the other protocols.
If I'm not going to use rsync, is it better to go with the Windows / NAS protocol, or FTP?
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try another protocol e.g. SMB. Not sure if it will work. It wouldn't with the latest Mac OS, but yours is very old so maybe this will.

Can you turn on Windows File Sharing on your Mac?
Message 4 of 6
meverz
Apprentice

Just tested with Windows / NAS (Timestamp) and it all seemed to go well. I am assuming this has better security than straight FTP (Which seems to enable anyone on the Network to access the Network share)?
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the backup job is run on the NAS then it would depend on the security for the protocol you use on your Mac side.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements