× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ST2000DL003 issues with SATA Reset, NAS DUO

gerardhoran
Aspirant

ST2000DL003 issues with SATA Reset, NAS DUO

I have a NAS Duo. I have successfully added drives and expanded it all the way from 500 GB to 1.5 TB with Xraid over the past few years.

My most recent attempt was to add an ST2000DL003 to my system to replace a 1.5 TB drive and to work alongside a Seagate 2 TB ST32000542AS.

I ordered from Amazon and when I added the drive I got the remove and add event and was told it would take 19 hours to sync. It never synced, I got the flashing BLUE light. I removed the drive, tested it and decided it was a bad drive. Amazon replaced the drive with a new one.

I added the new/replaced ST2000DL003 and all seemed to go well. It resynced and then it prompted me to reboot to do the expansion. At the end of that I had 1892 GB :), all seemed good.

When I enabled my Time Machine Backups, I got a SATA reset which required a resync. Did that and got another SATA reset. Tried again no joy!!!!

I have just removed the ST2000DL003 and am running without X Raid on the ST32000542AS. All is working well.

Does anybody have any success with the ST2000DL003 in the NAS Duo?
Does anybody have any success with the ST2000DL003 AND an ST32000542AS in the NAS Duo?

I am running 4.1.7

ger
Message 1 of 4
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Re: ST2000DL003 issues with SATA Reset, NAS DUO

SATA Reset is mostly due to the quality of drive frimware. If the drive can not respond to host request on time, it will reset it self. Just for data integrity, we alert user to resync the data volume. ATA ERRORs are the one you need to keep an eyes on for drive going bad.
Message 2 of 4
gerardhoran
Aspirant

Thank you Jedi Knight!

These were both Brand New Drives from Amazon. I would be surprised that both drives had physical issues. I did not check the firmware.

My concern is that the combination of Drives that I have do not work.

Any idea if these Drives ( on the HCL) ST200DL003 work well on the NAS Duo?

ger
Message 3 of 4
gerardhoran
Aspirant

Update: I decided to see if the new drive ST200DL003 would work by itself in the UNIT. I powered down the UNIT and set it for File System check, I then removed the other 2 TB drive and powered back on.

It has been running for 3 days and no issues. I think there is an issue with the drives not being matched.

No more SATA resets currently!

Any ideas?

I realize I dont have Xraid but am using another external drive as a secondary Backup Source right now, not ideal but peace of mind.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements