× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Scheduled Backup from File Server to ReadyNas 3138

Mike_Red_Lodge
Aspirant

Scheduled Backup from File Server to ReadyNas 3138

We have a file backup set to automatically copy the files from our file share to a shared folder on the RN3138.  Every time it runs, regardless of if it is by schedule or manually it freezes up the whole NAS so that it cannot be accessed from the admin page or from windows explorer.  It will stay in this state for 24+ hours until the machine is restarted. There are about 700 GB total in all of the file folders, but the backup is setup so that a full backup is only run the first time.  I could have understood the delays if it was a full backup each time, but now that most of the files are there, I would not think that there should be that much of a problem.  Why does this freeze things up every time it runs? I have tried running it at different times of day. I have tried deleting and recreating the backup.  I'm not sure what else to try.

The drives we are using are Seagate Constellation drives 3TB 7200 rpm.  All 4 of the drives are in a RAID 5 of about 9 TB.  There is plenty of space still available on the RAID and it shows as healthy.

We are on firmware version 6.6.1

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Scheduled Backup from File Server to ReadyNas 3138

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Also I understand you asked support about extra disk trays for swapping disks in and out of the NAS regularly to do your backups of your NAS to take off-site. That's very risky and a bad idea. See Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss

To backup your NAS you should use USB disks, another NAS etc.

Message 2 of 6
Mike_Red_Lodge
Aspirant

I just sent the logs... I apologize for not responding sooner.  I'm OOO on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

As for the offsite issue.  We did some additional reading after seeing the response from support.  We now use a series of 2 TB drives and a series of 3TB drives that we connect externally (USB / eSATA) and rotate offsite.

Thanks for following up on our previous bad idea.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try disabling the anti-virus service and see if this makes a difference?

Is your NAS joined to AD?

Message 4 of 6
Mike_Red_Lodge
Aspirant

The NAS is added to the AD and I am generally able to browse to the NAS from my computer, when it isn't frozen up.

I have disabled the A/V and will try restarting that job when the other job that is running right now finishes.

Message 5 of 6
Mike_Red_Lodge
Aspirant

The backup ran and completed last night with the AntiVirus turned off but came back showing as failed.  Looking at the logs for that failed backup, I was able to find a folder that had some strange character in the folder name that appeared to create a problem because the the name was not valid.  I removed that character from the folder name and ran the backup again and it ran and completed without problem.  I turned the Antivirus back on and it ran again without problem.  I believe we have resolved the issue, but I will continue to watch the backup for a few more days.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements