× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Second disk failure during resync after replacing bad disk

HiddenWolf
Aspirant

Second disk failure during resync after replacing bad disk

I have a Readynas Pro Business with five disks using X-raid2
Last weekend I noticed that two disks were having trouble. One with ATA errors, the other showed bad sectors.
Emailed Netgear. Replacements shipped in. All fine.

Setup is as follows:
Disk 1: 1GB (fine)
Disk 2: 1GB (ATA errors)
Disk 3: 2GB (fine)
Disk 4: 2GB (fine)
Disk 5: 1GB (bad sectors)

Pulled out disk 2, plugged in the new one. Syncing is currently going on.
Now suddenly disk 5 is showing as 'dead'. The array has gone into read-only mode, but syncing continues.

Now the situation is:
Disk 1: 1GB (fine)
DIsk 2: 1GB (spare, syncing)
Disk 3: 2GB (fine)
Disk 4: 2GB (fine)
Disk 5: 1GB (dead)

My questions:
- Did I just lose data?
- Should I let resync continue?
- Should I plug the 'old' bad disk 2 back in, as it still has my data on it?
- How do I mitigate the damage?
Message 1 of 3
HiddenWolf
Aspirant

Re: Second disk failure during resync after replacing bad di

Al right. I decided to call in the cavalry. Spent an hour on the phone with netgear. Waiting for the determination of their technician.
Message 2 of 3
HiddenWolf
Aspirant

Re: Second disk failure during resync after replacing bad di

Netgear managed to help me recover my data after a few phone calls and a day or two of copying disks.
Turns out two disks were failing at the same time. While I was replacing one bad disk the other went down, and I ended up with a dead array. Taking the disks out and making a bit-for-bit copy of both bad disks using dd_rescue did the trick. One of the bad disks was recognised and after a lengthy resync I've now got five healthy disks again.

This weekend I've made a complete offsite backup and reset my NAS to dual-redundancy.

Data is now recovered and migrated to dual-redundancy with the important parts mirrored offsite.
I got in a bit of reorganising and cleaning out of old files and updated the firmware on a few disks while I was at it.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements