× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security

avicenne13
Aspirant

Security

Hi,

I am a new ReadyNAS Ultra 2 user. This is a great device. Although I am quite qualified as a computer user, I am not perfect on bash and linux.

My concern is that I've installed an add-on called Nas Monitor. When I looked into my stats, I've noticed two things:

1-vnstat pages show great amount of activity (12GB) during a day that I was absent from home. No torrents were active, no computers were connected and it is behind a firewall.

2-vpsinfo pages show some ip numbers that are active.

How concerned should I be, how secure is ReadyNAS?

Regards.
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Security

Of course the security of your data depends in part on your choice of file protocols, user/passwords, and file permissions.

12GB is a lot of network traffic, I would certainly want to track it down.

Are you forwarding any ports to the ReadyNAS in the firewall? Are the active IP addresses on your home network, or somewhere else?
Message 2 of 4
InTheShires
Tutor

Did you run an ip trace? Google should be enough to glean the basic info from the ip.

Not meaning to be rude, but are you certain you are reading the stats properly?

Ntop is another good bit of software to run if you are worried about leaks. Ntop can/might degrade performance of traffic throughput a little bit apparently, but I can't say I've noticed much difference, especially on the Ultra.
Message 3 of 4
avicenne13
Aspirant

It might also be me reading the numbers wrong, sure, but I think it might be a low possibility.

I will try to investigate more. I wish there was a security log that I can see, regarding what ip did what. I will try ntop when I get back home.

Thanks for the help!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements