× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shares disappeared after partition filled

pl804
Guide

Shares disappeared after partition filled

A few days ago, network access to my ReadyNAS became unreliable.  I logged into the control panel and saw a warning in the logs that the root partition was >90%.  I SSHed in and deleted a mess of what looked like orphaned .m4s files, and rebooted the system.  Afterward, all of my shares disappeared from the control panel (but the data is there when I SSH in).

From searching here, it sounds like my config got messed up when the partition filled up.  I've only seen references to Netgear tech support going in to fix it, but no instructions on how to do so myself.  Does anyone (maybe @mdgm-ntgr) know how to do this? My unit is out of warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN716X|ReadyNAS 716X Chassis
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Shares disappeared after partition filled

Hi @pl804

For these kinds of issues we usually advised to go to Support for assistance especially if Data recovery service is needed but if you are comfortable using SSH then you may want to check with @mdgm-ntgr on how you can DIY.

Out of Support devices are subject for purchase of a Support contract. 

Regards

Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

pl804, I've sent you a PM.

If you want to troubleshoot it yourself start by doing e.g.

# mount --bind / /mnt

Then you need to look in /mnt to see what's using up the space e.g.

# du -csh /mnt/*

# du -csh /mnt/var/*

Depending on what you find it will depend on what needs to be done to proceed.

When the root volume is full some config files may get corrupted leading to additional steps being needed to resolve the problem. It sounds like that has happened in this case.

You can look under /data/._share/ (where data is the volume name) to see if the config files are still there. If they are then you could do e.g.

# cat /data/._share/*/samba.conf > /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf

Or,

# touch /var/readynasd/.need_export

# systemctl restart readynasd

If the config files on the data volume are corrupt then they'll need to be manually recreated.

Message 3 of 8
pl804
Guide

()Thanks, both.  I tried replying to the PM but it says I've reached my limit.)

So I thought I had fixed it.  I renamed the old shares, created new shares in the Control Panel, then copied the files from the old shares into the new shares.  All was well, until Disk 2/6 and 4/6 started showing errors.  I replaced Disk 4, only to get wind up with another bad disk (the RMA unit).  I went on vacation, and during that time, the volume went from degraded to dead.  So I think I'm toast.

Message 4 of 8
pl804
Guide

A little more detail and a question:

I thought I had fixed the issue on my rn716x by renaming my old shares, creating new shares, and copying the files from the old shares to the new shares.  All was good for a few weeks.

Then, 2 disks started showing errors.  I did an advance RMA but foolishly started wiping the old bad disk before the new one was resynced.  It failed to resync b/c it too had sector errors.

At that point, I went on vacation, during which time, the other bad disk failed, and the volume went from degraded to dead.

I tried cloning the disk that failed, but I guess it's out of sync now.  Do you know if there's any way to get it back in sync?

I started looking at ReclaiMe and their RAID recovery tool, but can't tell if it will work with my X-RAID configuration.

Thanks for any advice/help.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@pl804 wrote:

I started looking at ReclaiMe and their RAID recovery tool, but can't tell if it will work with my X-RAID configuration.

ReclaiMe does work with OS 6 XRAID volumes, and several users have reported success using it.

@pl804 wrote:

I tried cloning the disk that failed, but I guess it's out of sync now.  Do you know if there's any way to get it back in sync?

Technically no.  Once it's out of sync, the only way to sync it is to rebuild it from the others.  That can't be done if you have multiple failures.

But it is possible to force the out-of-sync disk into the RAID array.  However, it is risky - there is certain to be some file system corruption.  Some of that is because of errors on the disk, the rest is because it isn't in sync.  

RAID recovery is probably the only real option.  You could use Netgear support btw - https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service.

Message 6 of 8
pl804
Guide

1. Ah, that's good to hear that ReclaiMe works with X-RAID.  I have 4 good drives that were in the array, 1 good drive that was cloned from the 1 bad drive, and 1 missing drive b/c I wiped the bad drive before confirming that the replacement drive was good.  IIUC, I need to connect all 5 drives I have at the same time to a host computer.  Can I just use 3 dual-bay SATA docks via USB? I tried connecting even 1 to a Windows VM on a Mac host, but it wouldn't connect properly, so I figure I'll try with a native Windows computer this weekend.

2. Can Netgear do RAID recovery remotely? I saw that support link but couldn't find out how to file a ticket or start the process.  I also can't purchase an out-of-warranty support contract because I've never been able to register my RN716X because I bought it refurbished from an Amazon 3P seller years ago, and it had already been registered to someone else.

TIA.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

BTW, Seagate also offers a RAID recovery service (that doesn't require Seagate drives).  You'd ship them the drives.  I haven't used it (or seen any posts here about it), but it might be worth contacting them and asking if they can handle BTRFS.  https://www.seagate.com/services-software/recover/in-lab-recovery/

@pl804 wrote:

2. Can Netgear do RAID recovery remotely? 

They can. 

I was told at some point that the service would be available to used equipment owners, but I'm not sure if that actually is the case (or how you would get it if your equipment can't be registered at my.netgear.com).  Hopefully @Marc_V or another Netgear mod can clarify that.

@pl804 wrote:

1.  IIUC, I need to connect all 5 drives I have at the same time to a host computer.  Can I just use 3 dual-bay SATA docks via USB? 

Yes, you will need all 5. The USB docks should work.  ReclaiMe only runs on Windows (as you already know).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements