× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sharing subdirectories on ReadyNAS Pro 4

rpb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sharing subdirectories on ReadyNAS Pro 4

Hi,

Apologies if this is a complete noob question, but we're stuck. :?

We have a current server with a whole bunch of directories for different tasks:

D:\HR
    D:\Marketing
    D:\Sales
    D:\Dev
    D:\External
    D:\etc

These folders are currently shared on our Windows network along these lines:

\\SERVER\HR
    \\SERVER\Marketing
    \\SERVER\Sales
    \\SERVER\Dev
    \\SERVER\External
    \\SERVER\etc

We bought a ReadyNAS and moved the contents of the server over. For ease of backing up we basically put the previous server D drive onto a new partition on the NAS. However, we can't work out how to share these subdirectories for our users. We only seem to be able to share the root folder, so we end up with something like:

\\READYNAS\D

We were hoping to rename the ReadyNAS and share the directories with their names so that all the existing links users have to their files will remain the same. At the moment the best we can do is have something like \\SERVER\HR become \\SERVER\D\HR. :shock:

Surely we don't have to create a partition for each shared folder on the ReadyNAS, do we? That is going to make management, backing them up and taking offsite backups a nightmare!

Are we doing something silly, or can the ReadyNAS really not share subfolders? And if it can't, would anyone be so kind as to help us with a workaround?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Sharing subdirectories on ReadyNAS Pro 4

Normally you start with an empty volume, and create the shares you want from Frontview (HR, Marketing, etc). These are shared, and you have control over the directory permissions, access protocols, etc. on a share by share basis.

Then load the data for each share from your existing D drive over the network. Frontview backup is a convenient way to do this.

Since all these shares are in the same volume (usually C btw) you will still be able to conveniently back them up.
Message 2 of 6
rpb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, StephenB.

To use the ReadyNAS built-in backup, however, I think we'd need to schedule separate jobs for each share, wouldn't we? I don't think it's possible to pick a number of shares and back them up on a single schedule, as far as I can discover from the web control-panel. So that means a number of separate backup jobs each scheduled separately.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

rpb wrote:
Thanks for the reply, StephenB.

To use the ReadyNAS built-in backup, however, I think we'd need to schedule separate jobs for each share, wouldn't we? I don't think it's possible to pick a number of shares and back them up on a single schedule, as far as I can discover from the web control-panel. So that means a number of separate backup jobs each scheduled separately.
You can back up the full volume (when I look at my "source" pulldown choices, I see "volume: c" near the bottom of the list). There is also a selection to backup all home shares.
Message 4 of 6
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

If you are looking to backup some of the shares and not others then you are correct. However, if you are looking to backup all the shares with an easy procedure then the steps StephenB is giving are the way to go.
Message 5 of 6
rpb
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, thanks all for the help/advice. I think we'll have several different types of data on the drive - lots of shares that need backing up every night and a few archive folders that only need backing up occasionally, so I think we'll be stuck with setting up lots of backup jobs, alas.

Thanks again.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements