× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I restart my ReadyNAS routinely?

chuber
Aspirant

Should I restart my ReadyNAS routinely?

Just curious, should I reboot my NAS regularly as I do with my computer? I think it has been running for 7-8 months without any reboots or power shutdowns.

Thank you

Model: RND2110v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ilneill
Apprentice

Re: Should I restart my ReadyNAS routinely?

Hi,

I have 2 ReadyNAS's, a 102 and a 204.

I never reboot the 102, apart from when I do firmware updates. The 204 is powered up/down overnight (Mindnight - 6am) Monday - Friday on schedule. This is a routine I have since I realised many years ago that most of my power outages happened in this time period. Now with UPS's I do not have the same issues, but my habit continues... call it being a bit greener, I suppose.

In use, I see no difference between them, so I suspect that regular rebooting does not make any difference to performance or reliability at all.

Kind regards,

Ian

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some users leave theirs running for years between reboots.

Most users though would reboot more regularly than you do e.g. to install firmware updates, to get new features and other enhancements, bug fixes, security fixes etc.

There's no need to reboot the NAS regularly though it can be a useful step in troubleshooting a problem if you are encountering one.

Message 2 of 4
ilneill
Apprentice

Hi,

I have 2 ReadyNAS's, a 102 and a 204.

I never reboot the 102, apart from when I do firmware updates. The 204 is powered up/down overnight (Mindnight - 6am) Monday - Friday on schedule. This is a routine I have since I realised many years ago that most of my power outages happened in this time period. Now with UPS's I do not have the same issues, but my habit continues... call it being a bit greener, I suppose.

In use, I see no difference between them, so I suspect that regular rebooting does not make any difference to performance or reliability at all.

Kind regards,

Ian

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We use memory for caching to improve performance (and free up the memory when needed), so if you reboot that cache will be emptied so in some cases performance may even decrease temporarily as it has to build up a cache again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements