× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Simple ReadyNAS to Drobo backup

PhillHopkins74
Aspirant

Simple ReadyNAS to Drobo backup

Hi, I have a 2120 accessing Front view through a W7 Pro (64bit) desktop. I'm trying to set up a backup from a local share on the ReadyNAS to my Drobo NAS using the remote Windows / NAS timestamp method.

So after selecting the destination as remote and protocol as remote Windows / NAS timestamp I come to host. The instructions are not clear what should be entered here so I've put the destination IP address (192.168.0.10). I set the path to the Drobo share folder.

Test connection fails, can anyone advise what I've done wrong please.

I've tried not entering anything in host and I'm simply prompted to enter something.

Thanks in advance

Phill
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Simple ReadyNAS to Drobo backup

The help on my Pro says:
Sample paths for different protocols:

Windows PC

If the URI is: \\myserver\myshare\myfolder
The host is: //myserver
The path is: myshare/myfolder
Note the direction of the slashes in the above example.
Is that what you tried?

Though if the Drobo is set to allow NFS or Rsync access to the share, those might be better protocols.
Message 2 of 10
PhillHopkins74
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply.

No, I had set Host to the Drobo IP address and path as //myserver/my share.

I'll try your method tonight.

I have a Drobo Gen1, it's not even supported by Drobo anymore. It doesn't have NFS or rsync capabilities.

I'm building a Linux server based on Ubuntu and Samba and will ultimately be looking to run rsync client with my ReadyNAS as rsync server. Or vice versa, whichever works best.

Thanks again
Message 3 of 10
PhillHopkins74
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.

Tried replacing the IP address as host with //DROBOSHARE and set path to the share folder, unfortunately still no dice.

I have noticed however that non of my W7 Pro machines are currently discovering any NAS on my network at the moment. Drives are still pingable and mappable mind.

I've also setup a trial remote rsync to a friends ReadyNAS for off site storage. We'll see how that goes.

If you have any other suggestions they would gratefully received.

Thanks again

Philk
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

maybe try the ip address as the host and the path as the share folder.
Message 5 of 10
PhillHopkins74
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Not had chance to try your suggestion yet. As I also started having problems with DLNA and/or UPnP I decided maybe a simple reboot might clear anything that was stuck, how wrong could I be.......

I've now lost the use of my ReadyNAS front view, I can log on but that is all I can do. So far ReadyNAS has disappointed at everything I've asked of it. Backup, media server and now Front View failure. I'm meant to entrust my valuable data to this unit, fortunately I'm paranoid and do have my data backed.

Sorry for the rant, just waiting now for Netgear to deal with my ticket.

Thanks
Message 6 of 10
stasiak
Aspirant

Hi, I'm having the same problem, I don't know what to put in the Path: field to point at the folders on my Drobo 5N. Did you get this problem sorted, if so could you explain how you did it please?

Thanks

Carl
Message 7 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

stasiak, you are trying to backup FROM a Drobo so it's not exactly the same problem (to be podantic).
On OS6 you should not need to enter slashes, so a host is the IP address and the path is the name of a share on the relevant device. The Drobo share should be setup to allow access from the readynas.

It's possible you may need to add the volume name eg. c/share or c\share

What have you tried?

Could you tell us the model of Drobo you are each using as well as the version of Drobo dashboard that you have installed so we can look at the manuals online if they are available?
Just a quick look at some of the manuals doesn't fill me with confidence though.
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I've chatted with stasiak over PM.

He was trying to use rsync. Changing the backup type to windows (timestamp) worked.

He manually installed rsync on the drobo (it is not preinstalled); I suspect the issue is how it is set up there.
Message 9 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

Good to hear he got it to work, I was trying to help him in his other thread and had suggested Windows/NAS timestamp.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements