× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some Folders Not Available in Finder

dschwartzer
Luminary

Some Folders Not Available in Finder

I am actually using  RN526X (it's not in the Model List above). runing 6.6.0 .

I am copying some data onto the server from an external HDD attached to mny Mac.  For certain folders that I copy over, the folder is grayed out after the copy and if I click on it, The Finder only shows the folder and not the contents in it. (Se the ordination folder in the screen shot below.

It I sign into the server through the Admin page I can see the contents in the folder and if I go to the folder using the ReadyCloud app on my iPhone, the folder is there and I can see the contents.

I have has this happen on several different shares and can't find a reason for it.  I have tried to delete the original folder and copy oit again but get the same results.

Grayed Out Folder

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

David

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Some Folders Not Available in Finder

Hello dschwartzer,

So, I had to take a look again at the screenshot you sent,  xxxx.xxxxxx@gmail.com is a ReadyCloud user I think and that has home share where Pictures folder is and Ordination subfolder is inside Photos. Have you checked if you will get the same results when you move the Ordination folder to the same directory level of Pictures?

There is no really setting on the NAS admin page for subfolder of home shares so it is something that you might need to check in the security and permission settings of the subfolder, I don't know how it is done on Mac, honestly. I hope someone would chime in to share.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

Do you see these contents too when you access it through SMB on a Windows machine? What I am thinking is that maybe these files are not recognizable by Mac.

Regards,

Message 2 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

Dear JennaC:

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a Windows machine so I can't verify.  That said, the files in this folder are all plain jpeg files.  The HDD they are currently on sees then without issue and they were previously stored on a Drobo DAS and I could see the folder and its contents without issue.  The same is true for the other folders that this happendd to.  I have ben able to see the contents from any other drive and most files were either generic formats (i.e. mp4) or Apple specific files like .dmg.

Regards,

David

Message 3 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

Can you check if you will be able to get to these files through ReadyCloud app installed to your Mac?

Regards,

Message 4 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

JennaC:

Using the ReadyCloud app on my Mac, I am still not able to access the files in that folder.  The folder is grayed out just like in Finder.

Using ReadyCloud in the browser and/or using the readyCloud app on my iPhone, I am able to access the folder.  Also, when looking at the Share in the Admin UI I am able to get to the files also.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

David

Message 5 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

Do you have other Mac machines that you can try to check if you get the same results? How about turning on AFP on the share where these are then access the share via AFP on the finder?

Regards,

Message 6 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

I previously turned on AFP as a test but that did not make any difference. I just checked this issue on another Mac and have the same problem that the folder is grated out and contents not available.
Message 7 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still see this problem on ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 ?

Message 8 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

I have not been able to update my ReadyNAS.  The system keeps saying my system is up to date and no updates are available so I am still at 6.6.0.

Message 9 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

How about manual update instead?

Regards,

Message 10 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

I looked for that but couldn't find the firmware file to install.  Do you have a link?

Message 11 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

Dear JennaC:

After another look I found the 6.6.1 firmware file and did update the RN526X.  Same condition.  The folder is grayed out and I cannot access the contents.

Regards,

David

Message 12 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

Have you tried copying at least 2-3 files from this folder to another share that has no problem via admin page then try to access that share through finder?

Regards,

Message 13 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

JennC:

The folder at issue called Ordination contains one photo and two sub-folders. The sub-folders contain all of the photos.

I copied the entire Irdination folder from the Home > Photos share to the main Photos share.

In the Home > Photos share, the Ordination folder is still frayed out in the Finder by in the main Photos share, the Ordination folder and the 2 sub folders are fully accessible via the Finder.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

David
Message 14 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

I think it may have something to do with the permission of the files and subfolder since they were from a Home share which is a personal share of one of the users.

Do you have a local user name Photos? Normally, the homes shares are named after the local user name and these home shares are in Home share when you get to admin page > Shares or access the NAS shares and get to Home share using admin account.

Regards,

Message 15 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

JennaC:

I'm afraid I wasn't very clear when I tried to expalin this.

No, there is no local user called Photos.  What I was trying to explain was that there is a sub-folder in MY Home directory.  The path should have said

Home > xxxx.xxxxxx@gmail.com > Photos.  The Folder Ordination is inside the Photos folder, which is inside my personal Home folder.

I can also tell you that there is another sub folder within my personbal Photos folder and that one is fully accessible from the Finder.

Does that explain it better?

Regards,

David

Message 16 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dschwartzer,

So, I had to take a look again at the screenshot you sent,  xxxx.xxxxxx@gmail.com is a ReadyCloud user I think and that has home share where Pictures folder is and Ordination subfolder is inside Photos. Have you checked if you will get the same results when you move the Ordination folder to the same directory level of Pictures?

There is no really setting on the NAS admin page for subfolder of home shares so it is something that you might need to check in the security and permission settings of the subfolder, I don't know how it is done on Mac, honestly. I hope someone would chime in to share.

Regards,

Message 17 of 18
dschwartzer
Luminary

JennC:

I was not able to move the Ordination folder from the Pictures subfolder but did have another copy of it in the main Pictures share and copied that into the top level of the personal folder.  That copy actually did not complete gracefully.  The Ordination folder was created but the contents did not copy over.  I had to copy the contents seperatly but it ultimately did work in Finder.

I then deleted the grayed out Ordination folder from the User Pictures folder but had to do that from the Admin screen.  I had done that before and tried to recopyt the folder and its contents into the Pictures folder but it never worked.

This time, I copied the Ordination folder from the User Home folder to the User Home > Pictures folder and it copied gracefuuly and I can access it via Finder.

I'm not sure why it woirked this time but it would appear that you were correct that there was something wrong with the actual folder or permissions and not the ReadyNAS or OS.

This is now resolved and I appreciate all of your help with this.  I will mark it resolved.

Regards,

David

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements