× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange folder issue!

crabby1
Aspirant

Strange folder issue!

Hi guys,

I have a problem where one of my shares doesn't show all the folders in that share? (Readynas Duo)

The detailed version:

I had a share called 'media' which has folders for Bittorrent, Video, Music, Photo, Manuals, Software... All the other shares had a capital letter, so I renamed the share to 'Media'. Everything seemed fine! I could see all the folders etc... The only issue was that my default save location for transmission used the lower case folder.

I deleted the lower case folder, but it keeps coming back. Then the other day I rebooted the NAS and now standard users only show the bittorrent folder.

If using the C drive everything is there.

Tried fixing permissions, but that hasn't helped.

What I would really like to do is reset the nas settings, but keep the data, and start from scratch (because I know so much more now than I did a year ago when I bought it).

Thanks for listening.

crabby
Message 1 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Strange folder issue!

How did you delete the lowercase folder? If you put a file in the Bittorrent folder, can you see this file from your client machines?
Message 2 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

crabby, I'm having almost the same issue.
Readynas Duo, pc linux access.
Using cfis I can access my media share, the Music folder inside but can't see all the folders inside.
rsync did copy all files correctly.
I also tried to fix authorizations and restarted linux pc.
From frontview backup I can see correctly the structure.
From win machine I can see correctly the structure.
I didn't care about capitalization but mine is media/Music
Very puzzled...
Message 3 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

From another linux pc the situation is the same. Some folders are invisible.
This make me think that it's something in the nas, software or configuration.
Message 4 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

What is the difference between the folders you can and cannot see? Permissions? Ownerships?
Message 5 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

I did notice that it's not just folders but files too.
From winxp I see that autorizations are mixed but anyhow they should be seen by the admin I use to browse...
Some have the archive attribute set others don't.
Since I don't care about specific autorizations for those folders, any command I could use to "reset" them?
I tried using frontview advanced options to reset authorizations but it didn't change behaviour.
From another linux with ubuntu 10.04 and not using admin, I got the same limited results.
Still puzzled...
Message 6 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Can you post the specific ownerships and permissions on one of these files/folders? Which user on the NAS are you using to connect to these shares?
Message 7 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

the share is media
subfolder is "Music"
One of the unseen subfolders "1967 - The Piper At The Gates Of Down" has the following authorizations:
nobody / nogroup / Everyone (all are the same) have full control / not hinerited / only for the selected folder
all 3 have special authorizations (as seen from winxp-explorer)
owner is nobody
attribute is read-only

another item I can see from linux "1969 - Ummagumma" has exactly the same authorizations as seen from winxp.
from linux (nautilus accessing a windows share) says authorizations could not be determined even if I can see/use it

From windows I did cut-paste the DCDB folder (unseen from linux) to the media folder (so up one level) and now I can see it from linux too.

I do not remember if I'am accessing ad admin or as a user (stored the pwd). Very likely admin.

On frontview the share has CIFS-NFS-FTP-HTTP/S-RSYNC enabled.
CIFS has read-write access as default and more restricted rights are not allowed.

Let me know... and thanks.
Message 8 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

Forgot to say that what happens to folders anso happens to files.
Message 9 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

It looks like these files and folders were copied over as the guest user.

What is the difference in ownership and permissions between the original DCDB folder (that could not be seen in Linux) and the copy (which could be seen)?
Message 10 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

moved cddb (can be seen by linux) has:
attributes: archive, read only
everyone, nobody, nogroup have special authorizations
nobody / nogroup / Everyone (all are the same) have full control / not hinerited / only for the selected folder and inerits from father to son authorizations
owner is nobody

The original one is gone since was a cut&paste.

I tried to check many objects and moved others but the only change is that if I copy the only change is the owner (root vs nobody). I also changed ownership of a folder to a user but nothing changed.
Message 11 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

If the original CDDB folder is gone, then what is the difference in ownerships and permissions for another folder that is not visible until it is copied?
Message 12 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

The response is in the last sentence 🙂
"I tried to check many objects and moved others but the only change is that if I copy the only change is the owner (root vs nobody). I also changed ownership of a folder to a user but nothing changed."
Message 13 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

How specifically are you looking at the contents of the directory on your Linux box? Command line? GUI utility?

How are you mounting the share over CIFS? If it's over command line or in /etc/fstab, what line are you using?
Message 14 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay, I'm on vacation...
Nautilus GUI for both answers
Message 15 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Can you try looking at it from the command line and seeing if you get different results?
Message 16 of 23
crabby1
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around to reply. I absolutely 100% FIXED MY ISSUE by creating an entirely different share called 'stuff I screwed up'. I then moved the contents of my media share to it. I then deleted the media share completely from frontview. I then recreated the media share, moved everything back, deleted the 'stuff I screwed up' share. It's been a couple of weeks now and everything is still working fine.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help figure out what the original problem was 😞 All my files and folders had exactly the same permissions and owners and had worked for almost a year. When navigating to either 'media' or 'Media' you would end up in the exact same place... unfortunately, this was not the case for add-ons.

Transmission ANNOYINGLY saves to /media/BitTorrent as default, rather than /Media/BitTorrent, but then loses the file stating it cannot be found - presumably because it has saved to 'media' but then looks for the saved file in 'Media'.

To be honest, I'd really like to reset my NAS without losing any data... Start from scratch, and pray things are more stable.

crabby
Message 17 of 23
crabby1
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
How did you delete the lowercase folder? If you put a file in the Bittorrent folder, can you see this file from your client machines?

I renamed the folder in Frontview, then logged in as admin to C and deleted the 'media' folder. I could create files happily in the remaining folders.

crabby
Message 18 of 23
crabby1
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
What is the difference between the folders you can and cannot see? Permissions? Ownerships?

No differences what-so-ever.

crabby
Message 19 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

Will get my hands on the Nas next saturday...
Message 20 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

Back home.
How can we proceed further?
Message 21 of 23
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

multighe wrote:
Back home.
How can we proceed further?

Please see my post from 7/15.
Message 22 of 23
multighe
Aspirant

Will get back on my nas at the end of august...
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements