× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stuck unable to boot from USB on ReadyNAS 104

millerjs
Aspirant

Stuck unable to boot from USB on ReadyNAS 104

Just installed an update on my ReadyNAS 104, to 6.4.1, (was on 6.2.something before) and now my device won't boot.

Update seemed to install ok, but on restart device started flashing two lights and displayed "Boot from USB" message.

Tried preparing a recovery USB using the os6 recovery tool, and the 6.4.1 arm image - following instructions.  On inserting USB into the ReadyNAS and powering up, get "Booting.." message, followed by "ReadyNAS USB Recovery".  Device automatically powers down again after about 20-30 seconds.  However, on restarting again still get "Boot from USB" message?

Tried a couple of different USB sticks, but behavior is the same.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Stuck unable to boot from USB on ReadyNAS 104

Hi millerjs,

The firmware can be found here. Try it at least with several USB storage devices. 

ReadyNAS OS 6: USB Recovery Tool

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi millerjs,

Welcome to the community!

Try other Firmware or image such as 6.4.0 or 6.4.2 (RC beta). Also, how did you proceed with the update? Local or remote? I would also like you to check this article for more information about the upgrade process to 6.4.x. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
millerjs
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

The original update I was performing was remote, via the web management.  It automatically offered an update in a popup when I logged on, and I accepted - but now I look at that article you linked to, it's entirely possible I was on something earlier than 6.2.5 before I updated.  

I've tried 6.4.0, the update behavior is the same.  Where can I find 6.4.2?

Thanks

-James

Message 3 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi millerjs,

The firmware can be found here. Try it at least with several USB storage devices. 

ReadyNAS OS 6: USB Recovery Tool

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
millerjs
Aspirant

Tried a number of different USB sticks, and eventually found one that worked!  Firmware updated, and ReadyNAS has booted up and is now working properly.

Thanks for all your help Brian!

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@millerjs wrote:

The original update I was performing was remote, via the web management.  It automatically offered an update in a popup when I logged on, and I accepted - but now I look at that article you linked to, it's entirely possible I was on something earlier than 6.2.5 before I updated.  

We can provide different firmware for remote updates depending on which model you have and which firmware you are on. On the 104 if you were running older firmware a remote update would have got you to update to 6.2.5 then after that was installed you would have been prompted to update to 6.4.1.

When we become aware of an issue that may mean a direct update from one version to another will not work we update the update server accordingly. If doing a local update we would recommend updating to the firmware that a remote update would offer.

Message 6 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi millerjs,

Great! You're very much welcome 🙂 The pointers mdgm posted is a very helpful information to know which firmware you are on when being prompted for an automatic or remote update.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements