× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Swapping over HDD's from ReadyNAS 102's

gjs010
Aspirant

Swapping over HDD's from ReadyNAS 102's

Hi,
I have 2 ReadyNAS 102’s.
For the purposes of fault diagnosis (I want to rule out a hw issue with one of them), is it possible to remove the 2 hard drives from NAS1 and put them into NAS2, and similarly put the hard drives from NAS2 into NAS1 without any issues? They are both set up with XRaid2.
Would there be any repercussions?
I can’t quite work out if the raid will be rebuilt once the HDDs are inserted into the different NAS and all data would be lost. Would the data, shares, security and snapshots still be ok if I swapped them over?
They both authenticate with AD.
Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Swapping over HDD's from ReadyNAS 102's

Hi gjs010,

both the data and the os are stored on the disks - you should be able to move disks between two RN102 without any problems whatsoever.
Message 2 of 6
gjs010
Aspirant

Ok, that sounds good. Thanks.
If the OS is on the HDD's does this mean that all the configuration i.e. Active Directory config, NAS name and whether its static IP or DHCP will move over too? Is there any config/detail that would stay with the NAS rather than go with the HDD?
Message 3 of 6
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Everything will follow the disks, nothing is left behind! 🙂
Message 4 of 6
gjs010
Aspirant

Excellent! 1 final question.
Is there any particular order I need to do this in? I'm guessing just power down both NAS devices, remove the HDDs from each, swap the HDDS and insert. Would it matter the order? i.e. disk 0 in NAS1 should go into the 1st slot in NAS2 and vice versa.
Message 5 of 6
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Indeed power down unit first.

Order shouldn't matter.. but personally I always try to avoid swapping disks around as much as possible, can never be too safe 😉 I label the disks so that disk 1 goes in to slot 1.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements