× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Think I messed up. How to get back to square one.

network23
Aspirant

Think I messed up. How to get back to square one.

I am trying to back up my macmini to my NV+. At one point, I think I tried setting things up using the old 15-step method and partway through, remembered there was an easier way since Frontview had an option to make the NV+ compatible with Time Machine. I may have switched methods mid-stream and maybe because of this, backups are not working for me.

So now I need someone to walk me through clearing everything out and starting over.

For starters, how do I clear out my old usershare I created for this purpose? (TMmini)? Can I just delete the share from Frontview?

I've never had a successful backup, so I have no need to save or convert any backups or partial backups that may be currently on my NV+.

Any help would be appreciated so I can get a backup of my mini before upgrading to Lion.\

Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
network23
Aspirant

Re: Think I messed up. How to get back to square one.

Anyone?
Message 2 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

network23 wrote:

how do I clear out my old usershare I created for this purpose? (TMmini)? Can I just delete the share from Frontview

Yes - then http://www.readynas.com/?p=1097
Message 3 of 6
network23
Aspirant

Okay, I deleted the old account, and followed the Easy setup instructions. I'm still not able to get Time Machine to start the backup.

OS X: 10.6.8
ReadyNAS: 4.1.8

I am able to select the ReadyNAS drive in Time Machine. Whenever I try to start a backup, Time Machine says "Making Backup Disk Available..." and doesn't get any farther. At that point, System Preferences and Finder become unresponsive and I have to relaunch Finder, which most of the time doesn't work, giving me an error: "The application Finder can't be opened. Error -10810".

So it looks like I can't even get the ReadyNAS "drive" to mount to start the backup.

What should I try next?
Message 4 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

First - are you running your NAS is Share Security Mode or User Security Mode?

If in Share Security Mode then you must change to User Security Mode - Instructions how to do this can be found here. You may find this resolves the Time Machine issue immediately

If not, or if already in User Security Mode and Time Machine is not working, the simplest way forward would be to ensure that the share used by the ReadyNAS Time Machine service is completely clean. The most effective way to do this - without enabling command line access to your ReadyNAS - is to manually mount the share via CIFS and to clean the share via terminal.

Note that terminal commands are faster and easiest to document so you can follow them - you should be able to copy & paste the commands to any mac. Also this method should avoid you accidentally deleting any non-Time Machine related data from your NAS

1. Ensure that the CIFS service is enabled on your ReadyNAS (Frontview >> Services >> Standard File Protocols)

2. Open Terminal and create a folder where we will temporarily mount the Time Machine Share

mkdir ~/TimeMachine

3. Mount the Time Machine share as the admin user

mount_smbfs //admin@192.168.1.100/c/.timemachine ~/TimeMachine

Change the IP address in the above command to the IP address of your NAS, and enter your Frontview password when prompted

4. Delete any old backups and also files related to AFP access to the share (this latter step is a precaution and can overcome errors related to "CNID" that some users encounter)

rm -rf ~/TimeMachine/*.sparsebundle
rm -rf ~/TimeMachine/.Apple*

The first "rm" command may take a while to run if you have large backups on the NAS

5. Reboot your Mac - this is a precaution to ensure a clean connection to your NAS and no problems due to caching

6. Try Time Machine again

7. Assuming all is now fixed, remove the temporary Time Machine folder created in step 2 via Finder or

rm -rf ~/TimeMachine

You may also disable the CIFS service setup in step 1 if you do not need it
Message 5 of 6
network23
Aspirant

I'm a step or two further ahead now. Thank you for the instructions. I have always been in User Security mode and have had CIFS active.

I can start Time Machine now, and twice now it's appeared to complete the initial backup, but when it attempts to perform a followup backup, like an hour later, it never completes. Right now, for instance, Finder is hung up again and the Time Machine menu icon is spinning and it's status is "Calculating Changes..."

Trying to open up System Preferences at this point always fails, and if I try to select "Stop Backing Up" from the Time Machine menu, the status changes to "Stopping Backup..." but it never finishes.

At this point, the only way to get back to a working system is a physical force reboot at the Mac Mini.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements