× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine ReadyNAS Disk not found on WiFi Network?

ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Time Machine ReadyNAS Disk not found on WiFi Network?

I recently upgraded my ReadyNAS firmware to the latest released version, but I'm not sure if this was happening before or after the upgrade, but my MacBook Pro can no longer see any Time Machine Disks, specifically the ReadyNAS Time Machine setup I have. The wired Mac Pro sees it, but for some reason its not viewable on the wireless network.

Where should I start troubleshooting this?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Time Machine ReadyNAS Disk not found on WiFi Network?

If you connect your MacBook Pro via ethernet to your router can you then see the Time Machine Disk?
Could you try rebooting your MacBook Pro?
Message 2 of 9
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

I haven't tried an ethernet connection. I have rebooted several times. I did just try to hit the NAS shares from the MacBook Pro and was able to see and access them.
So its something that the Time Machine is not seeing the disk I've created for backups...I can try a hard ethernet connection. Will report back.
Message 3 of 9
mongoose1
Aspirant

see my post 'time machine still not working" it is quite recent...might help....
Message 4 of 9
mongoose1
Aspirant

i meant this ! ----
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=47533
Message 5 of 9
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
If you connect your MacBook Pro via ethernet to your router can you then see the Time Machine Disk?
Could you try rebooting your MacBook Pro?

Ok, connected the MBP directly to the 2WIRE Router/Cable Modem that I have from AT&T, and it found the NAS drive immediately, and is backing up.
So there is something going on with my wireless setup. I've also noticed some issues with using the wireless network besides just this. Our devices, iPhones, laptops etc keep dropping connection and won't sustain a good wireless connection. I'm probably going to have to call AT&T on this. I'm assuming now that the wireless issues are where my problems are with this as well, thanks for the help.
Message 6 of 9
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Well, I guess I'm dumb, I had rebooted the Universal Gateway once before to try to fix my issues, but it didn't. I did it again, and this time it did.
The notebook sees the NAS, and its backing up now. So it was router/gateway related.
Message 7 of 9
milkosighem
Aspirant

I keep having the quite the same problem. My READYNAS NV+ only connects trough WIFI, LAN doesn't work. I spent a long time trying to find a solution but i cant find the problem. Anyone knows what it can be?
Message 8 of 9
kossboss
Guide

Check out this LINK: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=65411&p=387532#p387532

But here is the main point

If anyone gets issues with Time Machine and mountain line connecting.
I have tested with the following Hardware READNYAS ULTRA on 4.2.22 with Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2 I was able to get Time Machine to connect to the Share (for 3 hours I didnt see the READYNAS on Timemachine on the Mac, everything was set right on the MAC and on the NAS). The Problem was that we had a Router in between a Layer 3 device blocking Bonjour Communication with the MAC PC. The trick was to connect directly into the PC or get a switch in between. The solution to all of you having issues not seeing the NAS is to:
(a) have bonjour Enabled and AFP was on - I forgot to check if we needed to have a connected session via AFP from the PC - but most likely not, it just needs bonjour
(b) dont have any layer 3 devices in between (routers, wifi from routers - isntead get an access point connected to a switch)
(c) plug directly into a switch or the pc with the readynas and it works
Bonjour is a layer 2 type of broadcast so it cant get past router and wifi from routers, or thru computers - anything layer 3 is bad for it.

What did not work:

INTERNET
|
Router--PC1
|
Readnyas

What worked - half of a solution:

$ and ~ meaning a wired or wifi connection (where wifi is on the router)

Internet
|
Router~~~~PC2(cant talk to the readynas via timemachine but with proper routes on the router and pcs you can get other things to work - thus not a good implimentation)
$
PC1(can talk to the readynas)
|
Readynas (now Readynas can only talk with PC1, if you had other pcs on the network connected to the router it wouldnt work because there would be at least 1 layer 3 device in between)

The above is only good if you need 1 computer to access the READYNAS (and no external access to the NAS via port forwards etc.). Timemachine will work great because there is 0 layer 3 devices in between.
If PC2 wanted to talk to the READYNAS time machine it wouldnt work because there is 2 layer 3 devices in between - the router and PC1

THE BEST IMPLENTATION HANDS DOWN:
need a router - the same one does fine, need a Switch, and for wireless need an Access Point (the wifi on the router is a layer 3 type of communication, we need to make it layer 2, access points are layer 2 wireless)

Remember Wifi on routers 99% of the time are layer 3 type of Wifi, and Accesspoint wireless is layer 2. The PC and routers are layer 3. Switches are Layer2. When I say READYNAS(layer3) to SWITCH(layer2) to PC(layer3) that is only a layer 2 device in between (the readynas is a layer 3 device and the PC is a layer 3 device, but they are not in between the communication stream so it doesnt hurt). Another good communication Stream READYNAS(layer3) to SWITCH(layer2) to ACCESS POINT(layer2) to PC(layer3) = this type of communication will work because there are only layer 2 devices in between 🙂 The layer 3 devices on the end points dont count. Remember its whats in between that matters.

Again to Recap:

bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-PC
bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-WIFI-PC
bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-SWITCH-PC
bad: READYNAS-ROUTER-ACCESSPOINT-PC

good: READYNAS - SWITCH - PC
good: READYNAS - SWITCH - ACCESS POINT - PC
good: READYNAS - PC

So with that here is the Best Solution:

INTERNET
|
ROUTER
|
SWITCH----Access point
|
|
READYNAS

PC1 and PC2 can connect wired to the Switch or wirelessly to the Access Point and everything will work, time machine will be found becuase bonjour will be discovered.

I hope this helps all of you having issues with NAS to Timemachine Device Not found issues.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements