× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine and Quota Not Working Together

utdrmac
Aspirant

Time Machine and Quota Not Working Together

Hi all,
I have been successfully using my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 for the past 8 months with a 500GB Time Machine setup. Yesterday, I received a txt from my RN saying the quota had been reached. TM backups are now failing. It seems that Mac can't do anything because of the quota in place. Can't resize the TM sparsebundle. Can't write at all to the mount.

What should I do here? I can't increase the quota space because I don't have any other space to spare. It was my understanding that the RN/TM combo would only use that 500G of space and do its normal cleanup to purge old TM information etc.

Thanks for assistance.
Message 1 of 5
de_niro
Guide

Re: Time Machine and Quota Not Working Together

is there any free disk space left?Time Machine is using setquota to set Sparsebundle size,you will need to change the value in SSH

#df -h
#cd /c/.timemachine
#du * -sh
#setquota -u ReadyNAS 1048576000 1048576000 0 0 -a /dev/c/c

the command is an example to set Sparsebundle size to 1TB,1000*1024*1024=1048576000
can you post the results of df -h and du * -sh?
Message 2 of 5
utdrmac
Aspirant

I do have some space left. But I don't want to have to continuously increase this. I thought the idea was to set TM limit at 500G and it would truly be limited to that. I was able to get things working again by increasing the TM limit to 520GB but what happens when I reach that limit? Do I have to keep increasing this forever? I thought TM was supposed to keep my backups for only the amount of space I have specified?
Message 3 of 5
tim_q
Aspirant

Hi, Just wondering if you figured this out, I have the same frustration! I thought TM was supposed to look after itself!
Thanks
Message 4 of 5
utdrmac
Aspirant

No silver bullet solution. I increased the quota up a few GB and it started working again. Haven't had any issues since.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements