× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine suddenly can't find ReadyNAS sparsebundle

BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Time Machine suddenly can't find ReadyNAS sparsebundle

Hello,

I'm running Lion 10.7.1 on a new 2011 Mini, and TM via ReadyNAS 4.1.8-T9. I've been able to run TM with no problems since I first got the Mini.

Now it won't work. The only thing I've done/changed is made a backup of the Time Machine (and other shares) from the front panel USB to an external drive. An hour after that, TM gave the below errors.

I sure hoe you guys can help, this is driving me nuts!
Message 1 of 3
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Re: Time Machine suddenly can't find ReadyNAS sparsebundle

Anyone have an idea?

I thought maybe I could delete the entire TM from the ReadyNAS, but that seems nigh impossible. I tried removing the .sparsebundle from instructions on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=28473

But, I am never able to see the .Timemachine share to find the sparsebundle.

At this point, I don't care anything at all about my previous backups. I just want to start from scratch backing up via TM again. I have tried disabling, then re-enabling TM via the ReadyNAS. That doesn't help, same errors as above.
Message 2 of 3
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Re: Time Machine suddenly can't find ReadyNAS sparsebundle

OK, I finally got it to work!

Although, I'm a bit at a loss as to all the steps, I must have tried 20 things. I found the AFP for the ReadyNAS, then hit "Connect As" and logged in with user name ReadyNAS and my Timemachine password. Then, I saw about 5 folders, including my computer name, which I assume was the entire backup. I tried to delete everything, but it wouldn't let me. Ultimately I just deleted the drive for my computer name. That didn't take too long.

Once that was gone, I was able to reconfigure Timemachine to use the ReadyNAS location again, and now I'm in the middle of a backup.

I guess the sparse bundle got corrupt when I was doing a front panel USB backup of the Timemachine share and my other standard shares. I'll have to remember to disable Timemachine when I'm doing a backup from the ReadyNAS to USB.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements