× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transfer from USB HDD to Readynas NV+.

Libitína
Aspirant

Transfer from USB HDD to Readynas NV+.

Greetings,

I'm a complete beginner to the NAS world and I hope to get some help on my issue.

I currently have two 1.5TB external USB harddrives from which I'd like to transfer the data to my Readynas NV+. I've successfully transferred data from a USB flashdrive using the automatic function in RAIDar via. the USB port on the front, but I can't figure how to do it from my harddrives. Is there a simple way to copy data from my external drives to my NAS without connecting the external drive to my PC and transfer via. LAN?
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Transfer from USB HDD to Readynas NV+.

What filesystem (e.g. EXT3/NTFS/FAT32) is on the USB disks?

Is this a NV+ (v1) or a v2?
Message 2 of 16
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

With a ReadyNAS NV+ you should be able to attach it to the USB port on the NAS. When you plug in the USB drive, you should have a share that represents all of the data on that drive. These particulars can also be altered via Volume > USB options Is this drive bus powered or externally powered (e.g. power cord for the USB drive)?
Message 3 of 16
Libitína
Aspirant

@mdgm - it's NTFS on a NV+ v1.

@readysecure1985 - It's externally powered. I see the files fine via. the NAS on my computer however I never found a function to copy via. the USB port integrated within the system from the USB HDD to the NAS HDD.

I found a workaround though. I installed SSH, APT and installed MC and screen on the NAS. Then I accessed the NAS via. SSH, opened screen and MC and started copying files via. MC and then I could turn off my computer while the external copy data to the NAS. Speed is not good (4,43mb/s), but it's reliable to me.
Message 4 of 16
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

I am glad you found an alternative solution. Were you not able to find the options to run a backup from the external to the NAS, or was that not a preferred way to perform this operation?
Message 5 of 16
Libitína
Aspirant

I'm sorry to say that I still haven't found the option to run a backup from external to the NAS "the correct way". I was kind of worried regarding the transfer speed so after my first backup I formatted to EXT3 and tested a few files. I was able to reach steady 5.50mb/s. Is this normal speed of the NV+ v1?
Message 6 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried Frontview backup? You can create a backup job via Backup > Add a New Backup Job in Frontview
Message 7 of 16
Libitína
Aspirant

@mgdm - Last time I accessed "Add a New Backup Job" I didn't see this feature, however I might have misread so I'll give it a go as soon as I get home again in 9 hours. Thank you for helping me 🙂

Btw. is it normal copy speed 4,43mb/s on NTFS and 5,50mb/s on EXT3?
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Normal for NTFS to be very slow. EXT3 should be quicker particularly if fast USB writes is enabled under System > Performance in Frontview.
Message 9 of 16
Libitína
Aspirant

I've enabled fast USB write and I'm receiving this result, so I'm kinda puzzled why the speed is that slow.
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it does depend on other factors too. What size files are you transferring? What version of RAIDiator is on the NAS?
Message 11 of 16
Libitína
Aspirant

I updated the RAIDiator a few days ago. As far as I recall it's 4.1.8 but I'm not 100% sure. I've tested with various sample sizes from 20mb to 10gb files. The transfer speed doesn't differ.
Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried different USB ports?

Does your USB HDD have its own power cable? If not try connecting via a USB hub with its own power cable.
Message 13 of 16
Libitína
Aspirant

I've tried the front USB port and one on the back, so I got one more port to try. Yes, the USB HDDs have their own power cable.
Message 14 of 16
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

To find the "add a backup" option in front view. Under Backup > Backup Jobs; you should see tabs at the top, the next one over from the initial page (one to the right) should be add a backup job. From the drop down menu you should find USB which is divided to front, back, etc. I would try doing the transfer this way, I believe you would see increased performance from setting up the backup job in Frontview. What USB version are the drives?
Message 15 of 16
bob2b
Aspirant

Hello,

I have a working solution.
You can create a mount point (example USB_stick) in your share on the nas. This mountpoint can be redirected to the /USB folder (folder where the usb-devices are mounted under)
If you enable Http/s of the nas share, You can move files trough and from the usb-disk to the share, controlled trough favorite web browser. and they are copied locally on the nas. The obvious advantage is speed of course.

Steps i have taken,

Step 1 Turn on the http/s sharing tab of your shared folder trough Frontview (check to disable webdav).

Step 2 shh to your nas

Step 3 browse to your nas share.(example)
# cd /c/Media

Step 4 create a Folder named USB_stick
# mkdir USB_stick

Step 5 Create a Script that wil auto mount this folder to the /USB folder
# nano /etc/init.d/usbmount
copy lines below in script
----------------
#!/bin/sh
mount --rbind /USB /c/Media/USB_stick
exit
exit 0
----------------
cd /etc/init.d/
chmod +x usbmount

Setp 6 autorun script at startup
#sudo update-rc.d usbmount defaults

The only downside is that you have to restart the nas when you attach the usb- device for this to work, this is not a biggy, you are standing next to the nas of course.
But if anyone have any sugestions.. 😄
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements