× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transfer problem

JimmyBudz
Aspirant

Transfer problem

Ok guys here i go
i have a ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 2tb drives raid x 1000mbit

i have 2 laptops one running linux ubuntu on 1000mbit the other windows 7 100mbit
and a Desktop running windows 8 1000mbit

now the problem i have is that my laptop is a test server with a usb hdd on it and i download do that ok it runs linux
now the problem i have is when i want to transfer files or folders from my linux lappy ubuntu to my nas i get shit speeds around 2mb/s
i have tried to ftp/sftp/samba mount/smbfs/sshfs from the linux laptop to NAS and they all get around 2mb/s only did the samba mount and smbfs did help a little bit.
BUT in the windows 7 lappy i have mapped the network drive from NAS and Linux to the windows pc and when i copy through windows i will get the full 100mbit speed 10mb/s+, How is that so that i have to use another pc to transfer the files and it will be quicker then from linux itself
also trying this option from the windows 8 1000mbit pc goes back to 2mb/s using the same setup as win 7
also from the windows 8 1000mbit pc i get good speeds from the linux 115mb/s not from the nas around 20mb/s

any idea
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Transfer problem

So you are using wired connections, not wireless? Or am I reading this wrong?

Does your router have gigabit ethernet ports?
Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Also, are you testing throughput with the same file transfers?

Large files transfer much faster than smaller ones, and if your NAS is old there is possibly some fragmentation on some files.
Message 3 of 7
JimmyBudz
Aspirant

I am asking why is it faster to transfer the files from a windows pc via mapped network drive then doing it direct from Linux laptop to the Nas, it doesn't make sense yes it's all wired and gigabit router
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

JimmyBudz wrote:
I am asking why is it faster to transfer the files from a windows pc via mapped network drive then doing it direct from Linux laptop to the Nas, it doesn't make sense yes it's all wired and gigabit router
Understood.

Though if you are transferring lots of small files you generally will see slow speeds, and faster speeds with a large file. It wasn't clear to me if you were transferring the same data in both cases, as it matters quite a bit.

SMB might well be slower for linux, but NFS and FTP should be the same. How does the linux platform compare with the windows one? Also, did you check the network stats, to see if there were retransmissions or other stuff going on with the ethernet? Are all systems using the right MTU, etc?

I am suspecting there might be other differences besides the obvious Linux/Windows one.
Message 5 of 7
JimmyBudz
Aspirant

I am copying the same file for testing and it's a large file
how can I check for retransmissions with the ethernet?
also how can I check the mtu on Linux laptop and what to set it to on all systems
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

ifconfig -a
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements