× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble backing up to/from Win7 machines

markg1
Aspirant

Trouble backing up to/from Win7 machines

i have a readynas PRO that has been working fine for quite some time.

the environment was mostly winxp machines and one win2000 box, and i could read and write to each from the readynas.

i have since changed two of the machines to win7 64bit, and the trouble began.

when i do a frontview backup job to or from any of the win7 machines i get a error. Using the test connection is says 'error connecting to path'.

if i try connecting from each machine to each other machine, i can ping them all, and can connect to each share from each other machine, regardless of whether it is winxp or win7. this happens with firewall on or off on each machine, each using windows firewall. and i CAN connect with the readynas if i use the same settings (other than host) on the winxp machines or the win2000 machine.

settings are as follows:
backup source is irrelevant
backup target is Remote windows timestamp, host is the computer name, path is the path (i even tried a new share in the root of the c: drive just to test that) normal login/password, and then try test connection.

any ideas? this is a real pain for me since everything was working fine before. likely i have something misconfigured in win7, but i cant figure out what.

but the identical host/path/login/password connects from outside the readynas, so....

mark
Message 1 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Trouble backing up to/from Win7 machines

What version of RAIDiator is on the Pro Business?

Have you tried specifying the IP address of the Windows 7 machine as the host, rather than the computer name?

Path should be in a format looking something like this "windowssharename/folder/folder" (no quotes).
Message 2 of 28
markg1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
What version of RAIDiator is on the Pro Business?

Have you tried specifying the IP address of the Windows 7 machine as the host, rather than the computer name?

Path should be in a format looking something like this "windowssharename/folder/folder" (no quotes).

version is 4.2.17 the latest i think

ip address; no, but hold on ill check.........same thing happens when i use the ip address as host

format is what i was using. i use the exact same format on the non win7 machines and it works fine, so there is something with the win7; either the way the nas views it, or the way i have the win7 shares set up. but they all talk to each other, so....

thanks for the suggestions. not sure what to do next
Message 3 of 28
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

What error message are you getting? Try switching the protocol to archive bit, run the backup job, and see what kind of error message you get.
Message 4 of 28
Jezclayton
Aspirant

Looks like the OP has gone to bed, but I have exactly the same problem.

My NAS is an ULTRA6 Radiator:-

Hostname: ULTRA6

Model: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 [X-RAID2]
Serial: 2EE20ARV00361
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15
Memory: 1024 MB [DDR2]

IPv4 address: 1: 192.168.1.2
IPv4 address: 2: 192.168.1.3

Volume C: Online, X-RAID2, 6 disks, 13% of 9250 GB used

The Windows 7 PC I am trying to connect to is identified on the network as HPA5320UK with an IP 192.168.1.14. The windows Firewall is turned off (both Home and Public).

Whether I use Timestamp or Archive, put either HPA5320UK or 192.168.1.14 in Host, put any public folder in path (using sharename or full path as per OP, the browse button remains greyed out and with any number of different admin passwords I always get the same error:-

e.g "Error connecting to //192.168.1.14/Users" or "Error connecting to //HPA5320UK/Users".

Whatever the combination of Host and Path, it is always "Error connecting to" and the Browse button remains greyed out. Basically exactly as per the OP.

As this seems specific to Windows 7 (I have Ultimate), do you think it could be connected to Homegroup?
Message 5 of 28
Jezclayton
Aspirant

Just tried leaving the Homegroup and leaving Firewall (both) turned off and still no joy.

Anyone else having this problem, or perhaps found the solution. Since the Browse button remains greyed out I presume there is no connection to the Host?
Message 6 of 28
Jezclayton
Aspirant

Any ideas?
Message 7 of 28
markg1
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
What error message are you getting? Try switching the protocol to archive bit, run the backup job, and see what kind of error message you get.

first, there is no archive bit protocol in the list for the destination; just the source, so i cant switch most of them.

second, right now it isnt working. however, when i checked the logs, it DID work the other day. ??????
but right now i still get the error message "error connecting to computername/users"

Just so you know, im trying to copy BOTH from the computer to the nas for backup of documents, AND from the nas to the computer (spare drive) to backup some critical files from the nas. neither works right now. and the computers they dont work on are windows 7 64 bit. everything else (winxp and win2000) work fine.
Message 8 of 28
Jezclayton
Aspirant

Mark

My Windows 7 is 64 bit as well, so it appears Frontview Backup is not compatible with W7 64 bit.

Maybe one of the developers will pick up on this and provide a response.

Clayton
Message 9 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

I took the plunge and installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) to test out how to connect from a ReadyNAS to Windows 7

I have a brand new setup, all defaults selected during the setup. I've left HomeGroup enabled and haven't even looked at things like the firewall settings - just logged in using the admin account created during installation once the install completed

When installation completed, Windows 7 immediately found my NAS (Ultra 4 / Firmware 4.2.17) and was able to write to a CIFS enabled share as shown below:

I then created a new user (sphardy), logged in as that user & shared the home directory of that user via the "Share with HomeGroup (Read)" menu option, resulting in the following:

I then setup a Frontview backup job as follows

Note: I selected the 'Contacts' subfolder purely as a test, and used the IP address as a precaution

After successfully testing the connection I ran the backup job as follows:

As the image shows, the job ran successfully and I can confirm data was properly copied across.

I then changed the backup job to use the hostname of the Windows installation, rather than IP address:

Again the backup completed without issue.

In summary - there doesn't appear to be a fundamental incompatibility between a ReadyNAS running 4.2.17 and Windows 7, in fact this testing couldn't have gone any easier. Maybe there's something here in these results that will help those not able to use Frontview backup to access Win 7 machines.
Message 10 of 28
markg1
Aspirant

lets get back on track here. any new/different issues deserve their own threads.

if i try 'test connection' right this second on the jobs that connect to a win 7 machine, it fails. however, last night the backup went fine, even though the other day it didnt. NOTHING changed as far as configuration. So there is something else going on. Not saying it is the readynas, but it has to be either the nas or the win7 permission system. i get the exact same result with the nv+ and the pro when i do 'test connection' - in other words i get error when trying to connect to win7 machines, but they connect ok to winxp machines. the setup/permissions dont change from day to day, so im focused on the nas.

also, i discovered that periodically the home shares go off line on the pro box. this is when all the other shares continue on line.
when that happens i only have access to a few files/directories, presumably the ones that are cached locally. No telling what is causing this.
Note I have two readynas boxes, one sparc one pro x86, that have been running more or less flawlessly for several years (3 years for the x86, about 4 yrs for the sparc, without a single hardware failure). most all issues i have had with them were traced to flawed add-ons, as everything else has worked well. there are NO addons currently installed other than the Netgear default ones. i wonder if there is some remnant from one of these old addons still causing issues (i have never defaulted/reloaded the nas's as that would be a big pain, but may be my only option if i cant figure this out).

so if anyone can explain to me how the configuration/setup could cause this intermittant problem, im all ears.

in the meantime, lets get this thread back on track; ewok/mdgm, is there anything, logs etc. that might help in figuring out this issue? im willing to try anything to figure out what is going on. especially now that it seems intermittant.

mark
Message 11 of 28
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

When the backup did work the other day, did the logs look as expected, no errors, warnings, etc.?

I don't know what would cause an intermittent failure like that. The software on the NAS isn't changing between backup runs, and if the state of the Win7 box isn't changing, then I'm not sure what would cause the problem.

Go ahead and send me the logs and I'll see if there's anything interesting there.
Message 12 of 28
markg1
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
When the backup did work the other day, did the logs look as expected, no errors, warnings, etc.?

I don't know what would cause an intermittent failure like that. The software on the NAS isn't changing between backup runs, and if the state of the Win7 box isn't changing, then I'm not sure what would cause the problem.

Go ahead and send me the logs and I'll see if there's anything interesting there.

yeah, kinda weird. something is definately going on, just dont know what.

tried to send logs, they are 38mb; any suggestions like direct upload or ?
Message 13 of 28
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Go ahead and upload it wherever you feel comfortable and PM me a link.
Message 14 of 28
saintstephen11
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. I followed sphardy's instructions above. The only difference is the OS and the firmware version. My Ultra 2 came with .15 and I have not upgraded to .17. I am running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit on the laptop. I am able to backup an XP machine I have, but cannot backup the Win7 machine. I can easily copy files between the two machines so sharing is working fine.

When I set everything up I get the common test connection error, but I run the backup anyway and it says it completes successfully however no files get copied (there are two test files in the Contacts directory on the Win7 PC). Here is the log file:

======================================
FULL Backup started. Sat Jul 2 21:06:27 EDT 2011

Job: 006
Protocol: cifs-ab
Source: //Gandalf/Users/NAS/Contacts
Destination: [Test]/

session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0
Files copied: 0

Backup finished. Sat Jul 2 21:06:27 EDT 2011
=====================================

I used to have McAfee on the PC but removed it completely thinking that it might be a firewall issue, however, all of the other PCs in the house can see the Win7 laptop and copy files to and from it, only the NAS is having an issue with backups. I can even manually copy and paste the files between the Win7 laptop and the NAS. It appears the issue is with the FrontView Backup system.

This is frustrating as I otherwise really like the device, however it appears that there are a lot of issues with FrontView (judging by the volume of people that have unresolved problems on the forum). Anyone have any suggestions?
Message 15 of 28
saintstephen11
Aspirant

Ok, here is something interesting that I discovered. I can keep everything the same (host, path, etc.) except change the logid and pwd to anything I like (fictitious or real) and it will still complete successfully (but not copy files), but if I blank out the logid and pwd then it fails and I get this message in the log:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FULL Backup started. Sat Jul 2 21:24:50 EDT 2011

Job: 006
Source: //Gandalf/Users/NAS/Contacts
Destination: [Test]/

Anonymous login successful
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Backup failed. Sat Jul 2 21:24:51 EDT 2011.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from remote source path //Gandalf/Users/NAS/Contacts ==> /Test/ due to permission denial on one or more files
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like the anonymous login works, but the job fails due to permission denial on the files. If you use any random logid/pwd then the job completes but the files do not copy probably because the session setup failed. I have no idea what to make of it.
Message 16 of 28
saintstephen11
Aspirant

ok. I solved my problem.

This article will do it. It appears that backups are not compatible with Windows7 64 bit. Three registry tweaks and then logging in anonymously fixed the problem.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Networking_with_Windows7#Sharing_Files.2FFolders
Message 17 of 28
markg1
Aspirant

so i got another readynas, this time a pro 6.

its running 4.2.19, same as my pro business is now.

and i get exactly the same result as before. but....

if i enter the info properly, it backs up. on both the pro biz and the pro 6

but, if i try to 'test connect' it fails. on both units.

i had thought the pro biz had been corrupted with some rogue software add ons, since it did have problems and was 'repaired' but now the new virgin pro 6 does exactly the same thing.

summary; 'test connect' fails on both, but backups work on both with the login info that fails test connect.

fyi.
Message 18 of 28
markg1
Aspirant

update;

i received my pro 6, and have exactly the same issue, with the same error that saintstephen is getting. it shows as sucessful; ie a green icon next to the backup job, but it doesnt copy any files

and it says 'error' when i test the connection. so why does it say success?

i can post logs if it will help.
Message 19 of 28
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Did you try the suggestions in his article?
Message 20 of 28
TomLK
Aspirant

Do you mean from this article: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/....
This will open the share to really everyone out there,right?
Message 21 of 28
jed
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've got the same issue now - nothing being copied

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FULL Backup started. Mon Jun 4 15:42:19 WEST 2012

Job: 001
Source: //John-PC/win7-d
Destination: [backup]/

session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0

Backup finished. Mon Jun 4 15:42:19 WEST 2012

Was a resolution ever found to this?

Running Win7 with Ultra 2 Plus running 4.2.20
Message 22 of 28
MarkA73
Aspirant

Hi
I too have been having the same problem as those above. I have been trying to back up my photos from my computer to the NAS. The test connection button always fails, but if I saved the options anyway I could run the backup process but no files would transfer. I tried all sorts of configuration in the path names and adjusted many settings within my Win 7 share options but nothing was working.
However.....
I just uninstalled Windows Live Sign In Assistant (using the windows remove programs feature from control panel), restarted the computer and tried again (without changing any settings within the Frontview).
The backup is now running and I can see files in the backup share folder on the NAS!

Hurrah!! 😄
I hope this helps some of you out there too, it was driving me mad trying to work out what I was doing wrong.
Good luck

Cheers
Mark

I have an Ultra 2, Radiator 4.2.20 and Win 7 64 Bit Home Premium
Message 23 of 28
jed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Full of hope and expectation I uninstalled Window Live Sign in Assistant, rebooted, and ran the backup.......but it still failed.... 😞
Message 24 of 28
rclark
Tutor

I think there is definitely something broken with FrontView backup.

Just noticed this same behavior on my ReadyNAS Pro 6 running 4.2.20.

I have 2 backup jobs for a couple of Win7 64-bit machines - both jobs indicate they completed successfully, but with 0 files copied. Test connections fail for both and the browse button greyed out. These jobs used to work just fine and I'm not sure how long they've been broken. Played around with user IP vs. hostname, new shares, no security, FW turned off... nothing.

-Randy
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements