× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to read 1-Wire sensors...

synaps_o_dan
Aspirant

Trying to read 1-Wire sensors...

Hi all,

I am looking for help for my latest project. I would like to do data logging from a few 1-Wire sensors with my ReadyNAS Duo. The sensors are connected via a http://www.ibuttonlink.com/linkusb.aspx into one of the rear USB ports of the DUO. The sensors and the LinkUSB interface both work under windows. However, I'd like to use the Duo (which runs daily) to perform data logging. I am not a Linux expert, but eager to learn and would be really grateful for any help.

I have installed digitemp on the duo with
apt-get install digitemp

The Duo should have drivers for the LinkUSB on board. If I try
lsusb

I get
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd 8-bit FIFO
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

So I guess there are drivers for the LinkUSB (which is a serial USB interface) installed and working as Device 002.

However, if I try
digitemp_DS9097U -w -s /dev/ttyUSB0

I get the following error message:
DigiTemp v3.3.2 Copyright 1996-2004 by Brian C. Lane
GNU Public License v2.0 - http://www.brianlane.com
Error 8: Open COM Failed
Error 23: Failed to acquire a necessary system resource

Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance!
Daniel
Message 1 of 2
synaps_o_dan
Aspirant

Re: Trying to read 1-Wire sensors...

Okay, after a few more trials I got the sensor network working. Basically, what I had to do was to install two modules for a serial/USB interface, usbserial.ko and ftdi_sio.ko (in this order). The two packages were kindly provided in another thread. I have used modconf (can be installed with apt-get modconf) to permanently add them to the kernel. For reading out the sensor values, I use digitemp (installed via apt-get digitemp). If digitemp is called by a crontab job and its readings are dumped into a text file, a basic but powerful data logger can be achieved.
The sensor hardware is pretty inexpensive, and the data logger can easily implemented on a ReadyNAS, so this seems to be a really neat way to set up a sensor network for all kind of measurements. Even with my limited Linux skills ....
Cheers,
Daniel
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements