× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UPS

geoldr
Tutor

UPS

Hi everyone

Today, i purchased a APC BackUPS 700VA (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-back-up ... Id=8062046).

It came with a USB cable that I connected to my computer to monitor the status. I also plugged my Netgear ReadyNAS 104 into it to have it safely shut down when the battery gets low.

But I can't figure out how to get the status of the UPS in the ReadyNAS? I tried plugging in the USB cable into the ReadyNAS box, and it found it but the status is "Unknown".

Does anybody have any solutions to this? I would really love to have my PC & NAS shutdown when the power goes out.
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS

Normally you just connect the UPS cable, and the NAS recognizes it on its own. It should show up on the power tab (with 6.2 firmware) in the UPS section.

If it's not there, perhaps try a different UPS port (e.g., if you are using the front port, then switch to the back, or vice versa).

You can't connect directly to more than one device, but you can install a software package on the PC that monitors over the LAN (http://www.networkupstools.org/). If you go that route, you need to make sure your ethernet connections are also protected. A small switch shared by the PC, also powered by the APC will do it.

Though I just leave the PC in sleep mode when I'm not using it, and don't monitor it. My power outages are short, and the risk with a PC is slight anyway. But a NAS is a different beast, and a monitoring the UPS is very good idea.
Message 2 of 6
geoldr
Tutor

I see

I have been trying to setup the LAN UPS monitoring on my computer, and having trouble getting the lib USB installed.

I will keep researching, thank you for pointing me into the right direction!
Message 3 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

You must plug the UPS into the nas using the USB cable, not your PC as you have done. Then get your PC to monitor the UPS via the nas.
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
You must plug the UPS into the nas using the USB cable, not your PC as you have done. Then get your PC to monitor the UPS via the nas.
The NAS can also monitor over the network.

But since the NAS benefits more from UPS protection than the PC, I'd also connect to the the NAS, and monitor from the PC.

What OS is running on the PC?
Message 5 of 6
geoldr
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
vandermerwe wrote:
The NAS can also monitor over the network.

But since the NAS benefits more from UPS protection than the PC, I'd also connect to the the NAS, and monitor from the PC.

What OS is running on the PC?

I had to return the APC UPS that I originally purchased because ReadyNAS was not reading its status properly. I now purchased a TrippLite UPS and plugged it directly into the ReadyNAS unit. It is working. I enabled monitor over network, and setup WinNUT on Windows 8.1 x64 to monitor it, and it's working!

Thank you for the help.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements