× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Backup drive disconnects from RN202 before performing backup. OS6 ver. 6.9

Elkjunkie
Follower

USB Backup drive disconnects from RN202 before performing backup. OS6 ver. 6.9

After installing OS6 ver. 6.9 on the RN202 I cannot complete a backup to my USB drive attached to either of the rear USB ports on the RN202.

The system disconnects the USB drive before the backup begins. My backup status show the backup is in progress but it never finishes because the backup drive has been disconnected.

If I reconnect the USB drive I receive a message that it was not properly disconnected and is now read only and I have to connect the drive to my computer and reset it to read/write mode.

I have rebooted the server and the reset the backup drive on my computer.

When I reconnect the USB drive to the RN202 it shows on the system devise overview as being connected.

If I try to do another backup the disk and backup LEDS light on the RN202 and the USB drive for a short time and the USB drive disconnects again.

If I mount the USB drive to my computer I can copy files back and forth between the USB drive and the RN202 without a problem.

Any suggestions to fixing the problem is appreciated.

Thanks

Model: RN20222D|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay 2x2TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB Backup drive disconnects from RN202 before performing backup. OS6 ver. 6.9

Hi @Elkjunkie!

We haven't come across with any issues on USB drives disconnecting after update to 6.9.0 and to base on your explanation; the problem happens on the Rear USB 3.0 Ports. Have you tried using another USB drive or using the front USB port? Have you checked if the mounted USB drive had a different name? You may want to try reformatting the USB on the NAS and also rebooting the NAS.

You may also want to check on Backing up data from ReadyNAS to USB.

Welcome to the community!

Marc
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB Backup drive disconnects from RN202 before performing backup. OS6 ver. 6.9

Hi @Elkjunkie

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the issue is now resolved or if the suggestions were helpful.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards

Message 3 of 5
bingus
Aspirant

Just to chime in on this - I upgraded our NAS firmware to 6.9 last night, and noticed one of our USB drives was no longer showing up. Its been running for months without issues, and hasn't been unplugged.

We have 2 drives plugged into the rear of the 104. The bottom USB port was not being detected, at all. You could swap the drives around into the top USB port and they show up, so it wasn't the drive/cable.

I plugged a drive into the front USB port and got it to detect, but then it prompted me to connect it to a PC and run a repair on the drive. I did that and it still didn't work at the lower rear port, but it did work at the front.

Now I'm not sure if the USB port has failed, coincidentally, or if something in the firmware caused it?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 4 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @bingus!

It looks like a hardware concern on the lower USB port, how old is your RN104? You can try rolling to 6.9.1, but I don't think it would help since you have pretty much isolated the issue.

If it's under 3 years then it would be better to contact NETGEAR Support to have it checked and replaced if needed.

Let us know of the progress.

Regards

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements