× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB HDD not showing up intermittently

Andrew86
Aspirant

USB HDD not showing up intermittently

OS 6.6.0

Since upgrading to 6.6.0, my external USB3 HDD will sometimes disappear when going to sleep and not re-awaken when promted to backup. Even unplugging it from both USB and power will not make it show up again on the main login page. I have plugged it into a PC where it opens like normal, no promt to scan.

The last time this happened in the afternoon and the next day all was fine when plugging it in (the nas turns off over night). But I'm having no luck trying to get it to recognise it during the day it happens. When plugging the drive back in it powers up like normal with the light on and the disk spinning (not sleep state) but the NAS will not recognise it.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB HDD not showing up intermittently

Which firmware were you on before 6.6.0? So you didn't see this behaviour on previous firmware?

Message 2 of 8
Andrew86
Aspirant

I thought I had the issue just before upgrading, but someone had half pulled out the power chord to the external hdd so it had power until it was bumped slightly Smiley Frustrated It was why I upgraded in the first place, thinking why not, before I checked the chord properly. The drive is working fine plugged into a PC.

I was able to restart the nas during the day today (normally this is tricky to find a good time to do) and plugged in the drive again after reboot. Came up straight away as normal. So restarting the NAS fixes the issue when it does happen.

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Andrew86,

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Andrew86
Aspirant

No the issue is not solved.

Yesterday for instance the drive was plugged in as normal a few hours after the NAS started up and by the time backup was meant to happen (around 2hrs later) I got the email telling me the drive was not found (backup error). I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in again and it showed up fine, I then manually started the days first backup with no issues. The drive and all backups for the day went smoothly for the rest of the day.

Today the same happens, first backup failed because the drive never connected even though it spun up and the light came on. Only today disconnecting it and reconnecting it does not solve the problem. Connecting it to a windows PC did not prompt an integrity scan and the drive works fine. Reconnecting it after this still does not work.

From past experience I will now need to find the off time to restart the NAS before I can get the drive to be recognised and thus have any backups for today occur. Like I said yesterday I initially had the same issue but trying to reconnect the drive then worked.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which brand and model USB disk are you using?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 6 of 8
Andrew86
Aspirant

The USB HDD is a WD My book 1144. It's a 3TB USB3 model.

I have sent the logs as per instructions.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
Andrew86
Aspirant

Not having any luck with this.

Every morning now when it is plugged in the drive spins up and the light comes on but the NAS won't detect it. 2-3 hours later after the days first backup fails I try to unplug and plug it back in with no results. I then plug it into a windows 7 pc and it shows up like normal, no prompt for an integrity scan. Usually if I eject it from the PC it will still not show up on the nas but if I leave it plugged in for 5-20mins and then do it the nas will finally recognise it...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements