× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 6 HD Replacement RNU6, no rebuild ?

kgoncher
Aspirant

Ultra 6 HD Replacement RNU6, no rebuild ?

My Unit is a Ready NAS Ultra 6 with Firmware 4.2.17, using Netgear's X-RAID2 .
6x HD of Seagate Barracuda 2TB 5900 rpm drives ST32000DL003
Position 6 has a red X and said HD died
Replaced with HD from compatibility List
a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS bios CC32 (I have two of these).
Also have WD 2 TB drives that are not in the list, WD20EADS (I have 4x of these for
Or can I use a 3 TB Drive, Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
After removing dead drive and installing above drive, the NAS does nothing , like it does not see the drive (Hot swap).
Again, How do you get the NAS to LOOK at the new drive? (I have already run Seagate's HD test on this drive from my computer)
Thank you for your time, Kurt

From Log Window:
Sun Dec 8 06:47:19 MST 2013 If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. If this disk is a part of a RAID 6 volume, your volume is still protected if this is your first failure. A 2nd disk failure will make your volume unprotected. If this disk is a part of a RAID 10 volume, your volume is still protected if more than half of the disks alive. But another failure of disks been marked may render that volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.
From Health window:
Sun Dec 8 06:47:19 MST 2013 Disk failure detected
Disk 1 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 1863 GB , 30 C / 86 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 1863 GB , 30 C / 86 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 1863 GB , 29 C / 84 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 1863 GB , 0 C / 32 F Dead
Fan SYS2 902 RPM OK
Temp 2 29 C / 84 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK
Message 1 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra 6 HD Replacement RNU6, no rebuild ?

If you go to Status > Health and click on the SMART+ button for each of your ST2000DL003-9VT166 what firmware version(s) are on those disks?
Message 2 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

All drives in RNU6 are the same with CC32, as you can see from hours, its been up for 2+ years.
The problem seams to be with ST32000452AS drives not being recognized (on HCL and used by others).
two were take out of another computer from Raid1, the raid partitions were deleted first (installing 1 in slot6).

Txt from SMART:
SMART Information for Disk 5
Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166
Serial:
Firmware: CC32
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 10
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 21875
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 10
Reported Uncorrect 0
High Fly Writes 2
Airflow Temperature Cel 30
G-Sense Error Rate 0
Power-Off Retract Count 7
Load Cycle Count 10
Temperature Celsius 30
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 99213744559475

ATA Error Count 0
Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a compatibility issue with your ST2000DL003-9VT166 disks: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

Have you tried removing disk 6, rebooting then adding disk 6 again
Message 4 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

I can try inserting the original drive back into the RNU6
The Original ST200DL003 Drives have been running since May 2011 with no problem, was on the HCL and then the only firmware was CC32. I see the link for the summer upgrade to new firmware in July 2012, more than a year later.
The only way to get the firmware upgrade CC3D is to RMA all 6 drives back to Seagate, if they would take them and would mean loosing my data.
One drive dropping out after 2 and 1/2 years is expected.
What was not expected was NOT to rebuild when installing replacement drive.
I will first back up what I can to a 3TB and a 4 TB drive first, not to loose any data.
Which gets to replacement drives,
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3 TB 6Gb/s 64 MB are 99$ and is on the HCL.
Or are there better choices?
Thanks Kurt
Message 5 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

Question on Re-inserting original drive:
Power-On: and it will format and rebuild
Power-Off: Will it recognize it with the data and not rebuild (if dive did only fall out of array).?
Thanks K
Message 6 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you put the original disk back in while power is off it might boot without needing a resync.

I still think you should backup your data, replace the disks and restore your data from backup.
Message 7 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

Yes, that's how this string started , by replacing the older drive with another newer drive.
And then no rebuild with the 2 TB Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS....
Message 8 of 22
StephenB
Guru

You still have access to the data correct? Have you made a backup?
Message 9 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

The rebuild took ~ 10hrs (6x 2TB drives).

It took me so long to finish wanted to backup all data before trying rebuild and had to buy new HDs.
I transferred 7 TB of data to 3 & 4 TB drive (and yes it would not fit, some is on SSD).

The data transfer was glacial at ~10 MBs (x-raid 5).
Transfers from computer to computer are ~ 80 MBs and if its from SSD to SSD I get ~120 MBs.
I remember ~60 MDs transfer on New RNU6 with x-raid 0 (2x 2TB HD Raid0).
Why is the RNU6 so slow?
Message 10 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The rebuild can take a long time, especially when using high capacity disks. The disks have to be synced sector by sector and this puts heavy stress on all disks. It's not as simple as a drag and drop copy of your data. Also if you use the NAS for other tasks at the same time as a rebuild it can slow the rebuild down.

Also when a volume is not redundant performance can be a lot slower than normal. Performance should improve after both a failed disk has been replaced and the resync has completed.

Other factors that could lead to poor performance (may/may not be applicable in this case) include, but are not limited to:
1. Poor choice of HDDs
2. Configuration issue
3. If old firmware is installed you may be missing bug fixes, performance improvements and other enhancements available in newer firmware
4. If a hard drive is failing it could cause a performance problem
Message 11 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

From mdgm
Other factors that could lead to poor performance (may/may not be applicable in this case) include, but are not limited to:
1. Poor choice of HDDs
2. Configuration issue
3. If old firmware is installed you may be missing bug fixes, performance improvements and other enhancements available in newer firmware
4. If a hard drive is failing it could cause a performance problem

From the list.
1) HD were/are on HCL and transfers were in the upper 60 MB/s when it was new.
3) running 4.2.26 newest FW.
4) Health of system and Logs show no errors on any drives.

2) That leaves us with configuration.
From RNU6 Configuration
online/100Mbit/Full Duplex, Auto-negotiation, MTU: 1500
Services: CIFS and HTTPS
Performance Options: Enable disk write catch, Disable Full data Journaling

Not sure why I have HTTPS checked, but
Did I need something other than CIFS for Win7?

Thanks in advance for help that will get transfers back to normal.
Kurt
Message 12 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Disks can still have problems even if errors aren't shown.

100 Mbit? That's a max of about 10 MB/s. You want gigabit (1000 Mbit/s)

HTTPS is needed for Frontview.

Any add-ons installed?
Message 13 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

No add-ons installed.
I saw the status of 100Mbit/s
I tried a different cat6 cable and port on my D-LINK DGS-1016D Gigabit Switch, still amber or 100Mbits.
I tried a different cat6 cable and tied to Ethernet port2 on RNU6 and still 100Mbit amber on switch.
Rest of the ports on the D-LINK DGS-1016D Gigabit Switch are green for the gigabit Ethernet.
Also I have tried ,
connecting to AUSU gigabit Router directly to RNU6 still at 100Mb/s
connecting a second switch, Roswell 8port gigabit switch and RNU6 still at 100Mbit/s

Any Ideas on how to set my RNU6 to 1000 Mbit/s ?
Message 14 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How have you configured it under Network > Interfaces? To get gigabit you need to configure it to auto-negotiate the network speed in Frontview. Make sure you haven't forced it to negotiate a slower speed.
Message 15 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

yes, Network > Interfaces > speed/Duplex mode: "Auto-negotiation"
The pull down arrow only gives me the choices of Full/Half Duplex at 100Mbit.
There is no way for me to choose 1000 Mbit.?
Message 16 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If Auto-negotiation is selected it should auto negotiate 1000 Mbit where available. Can you try the other ethernet port?
Message 17 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

Yes, I had tried the 2 Ethernet port, I swapped cables and ports on New switch2 with computer2, computer always shows 1000Mbit and NAS always shows 100Mbit..... Very Frustrating..... I am assuming both ports run off same controller, maybe a controller problem, if it was a computer I'd install a gigabit Ethernet card... Any root commands to set the ports to 1000Mbit?
Message 18 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Well, "ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 autoneg off" would work. It doesn't change things permanently, so if it broke your connection you could reboot.

Did you try a direct connect procedure?

Also, if you are the original purchaser and purchased after May 2011, your ultra is still under warranty. If that is the case, you should open a support ticket at support.netgear.com.
Message 19 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

Yes I had a support ticket and Mary was patient, final fix was to set Networking > Interfaces > Ethernet tab at bottom is Performance Settings (had to scroll down was not in view) check "enable jumbo frames".
She said this was the only way to get gigabit Ethernet and it worked.
So some where at some time it got switched off, not sure how or when,
but now 3GB file is only 30sec instead of 30 min.
Back up and running!

On a side note, wasn't sure if I wanted Netgear as a backup to my back up, I built a rig with 240GB SSD and 2x 4GB HD, not redundant but holds a second copy of my files.
Message 20 of 22
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad it is running, but the fix is a bit weird. Many people (including me) use gigabit without jumbo frames being enabled.

As far as backups go, I think you are wise to be maintain multiple copies on multiple devices. I maintain 3 copies of everything locally (primary, backup, secondary backup). I started that before I had a NAS, when I discovered bit-rot on a backup. I added Crashplan a couple years ago for disaster recovery.

Are you using the scheduled file consistency checks and disk scrub? I run the file consistency weekly, and the disk scrub every 16 weeks.
Message 21 of 22
kgoncher
Aspirant

Yes, solution was screwy and failed. Some times its too much hard ware. I have 2 switches, 2 routers, 2 Computers, 2 NAS (D-Link too). But it came down to my cat6 cables, I think. With Jumbo frames on Reads were ~120 to 60 MB/sec (depends on file and SSD), but writes were ~16MB/sec. Without Jumbo Frames, all writes ~76 MB/sec.. I'll see if this stays. Thanks for the Advice, I now have 3x backup and will run checks (see if that improves writes).
Thanks Again,
Kurt
PS when one moves a computer and or NAS, test the cables!
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements