× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 6+ Unresponsive!!!

jah313
Tutor

Ultra 6+ Unresponsive!!!

I have an Ultra 6+ that has never once had a problem in however many years I have had it. All of a sudden it went offline and now the front blue light and green light flash about every 2-3 seconds. Powering it off and on does nothing, it is not on the network, even holding the reset button and powering on does nothing. I can see the fans twitch every 2-3 seconds as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to get this data back.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ultra 6+ Unresponsive!!!

I am thinking you have no backup, correct?  I'd also try running RAIDar and see if it discovers the NAS.

Do you know when you purchased?  If its still under warranty (3 years for original purchaser) then Netgear Support is the obvious path.  

You need to be very careful right now, since you can easily do more harm which prevents any possibility of recovery.  A Netgear data recovery contract might be the safest way to go if the data is precious.

Message 2 of 6
jah313
Tutor

I do not have a recent backup of everything. Some of the more important stuff is backed up online. There are about 8TB on the drives.

RAIDar sees nothing.

UGH

Message 3 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

It sounds like a hardware, possibly psu problem, but either way you are going to have to get Netgear involved.  If it's under warranty they will replace the chassis if that's the problem. 

If it's not under warranty, one option is to buy another 6 bay readynas and ask Netgear to help you migrate the data across; this assumes of course that the volume is intact. 

If you have a spare disk, you ought to just check that you cannot access the boot menu with the single spare disks in the chassis.  If you do remove all the existing disks, then make sure you label them according to slot number.

Message 4 of 6
jah313
Tutor

Netgear support helped. The chassis went bad and I am oredering a new one.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
ndcc
Aspirant

"If it's not under warranty, one option is to buy another 6 bay readynas and ask Netgear to help you migrate the data across; this assumes of course that the volume is intact."

Hah! if its not under warranty no amount of ticket, begging and offering to pay will get you anywhere with Netgear support! I know I have wasdted my time with them. I will never ever buy another Netgear product again nor will I ever recommend them to IT people, IT partners, Customer or clients any of their products again! Never had support issues with HP or Dell or even Synology for that fact. 

I would love to see someone go into a car dealer with their car whos warranty expired to get it repaired and the dealer tell you they cannot help you out with parts or repair of it because its not under warranty!

ndcc

Level 3 engineer

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements