× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra4 4x2TB -> 4x3TB

mkopel
Aspirant

Ultra4 4x2TB -> 4x3TB

I am looking to go from 4x2TB -> 4x3TB in my ultra4. If I replace the disks one at a time will the NAS recognize when it has 4x3TB and expand the volume? Or will I have to do a factory reset? I am hoping to do this in place so I don't have to copy all the data from my backup to the new volume. Doing it in place will give me access to the data the entire time, even though it will be a much longer process.

any other gotchas I should be watching out for?
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra4 4x2TB -> 4x3TB

What disks were installed when you last did a factory default?

You cannot expand your volume by more than 8TB. So if your volume capacity was 2.7TB when you last did a factory default you can't expand past 10.7TB.

Provided you won't hit the 8TB limit replacing the disks one at a time would work. After the resync completes replace the next disk. You may need to reboot a few times before expansion takes place. Wait 5-10 minutes between each reboot.
Message 2 of 8
mkopel
Aspirant

is there a way to tell what the volume capacity was at the last factory default?
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

AFAIK only in the logs.
Message 4 of 8
mkopel
Aspirant

which log and what am I looking for. I am pretty good with vi!
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

expansion.log has the expansion history. Look for the oldest "Data volume has been successfully expanded to" line (and confirm that it is the original install).
Message 6 of 8
mkopel
Aspirant

I can't find the expansion.log, which directory is it in? thanks for the help here...
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

expansion.log is in the downloaded zip of all log files. \var\log\frontview\expand_md.log seems to be the same file.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements