× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unresponsive/Slow NAS performance post Anti-Virus + upgrade

DavidBa
Aspirant

Unresponsive/Slow NAS performance post Anti-Virus + upgrade

Hello all

Since upgrading to firmware V6.4.1 and upgrading Ant-virus + to version 2.0.3 I have been suffering extraordinary slow/unresponsive performance from my Ready NAS 102.

For example:

• There have been times when it would not allow me to login to the web GUI.
  • Windows Vista, 7 and 10 explorer progress bars took minutes to load directory structures.

I noticed an improvement after rebooting the NAS but this was short lived less than 15 minutes.

The 4TB NAS drives are only about 25% full operating in a home environment so has a light duty cycle. The Web GUI says the drives are healthy and are operating in the ~38 degree Celsius. The fan is running about ~800 rpm.

No virus have ever been found on these drives.

Ani-Virus + is the only application that I run on the NAS other than the default ones. I turned off AFS (Apple File System) as not required.

I have cleaned out the dust accumulation from 2 years use but the CPU temperature remained in the mid-high 60 degree Celsius range. I felt this is a little higher than it should be. On a hunch I decided to turn off the Anti-Virus + process. A partly loaded file suddenly and dramatically completed loading and equally importantly the CPU temperature dropped to mid-50s degree Celsius within a few minutes.

I then performed some file loading tests using an I5 Lenovo T430 laptop. Test file was an XLS of 1.8GB. Application was pre-loaded.

• Anti-Virus off 7 seconds CPU temp ~55 degrees C
  • Anti-Virus on 3:52 CPU temp rose to ~66 degrees Celsius during the load.

I do not any pre-upgrade load time figures for comparison but load times where acceptable. The conclusion is that there is something seriously wrong with the latest version of Anti-Virus + or the priority assigned to the application.

I note that other users are experiencing similar response problems but the little I have read have not done much in the way of quantitative measurements.

I am reluctant to turn off Anti-Virus + but see little alternative.

How can I roll back the Anti-Virus + application and/or when is a fix coming?

Regards DavidBa

Message 1 of 8
DavidBa
Aspirant

Re: Unresponsive/Slow NAS performance post Anti-Virus + upgrade

Sorry can not see how to edit a recent postMan Sad

The above should read "Test file was an XLS of 1.8MB not 1.8GB" 

Cheers DavidBa

Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The problem is not with Anti-Virus Plus, but rather with the AV service itself. We are working on a fix, but this won't be in 6.4.2.

For now you could disable the Anti-Virus service under System > Settings > Services

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

THe problem is not with Anti-Virus Plus, but rather with the AV service itself. We are working on a fix, but this won't be in 6.4.2.

For now you could disable the Anti-Virus service under System > Settings > Services

Yes.  If you really don't want to do that, then you can roll back to 6.4.0 w/o data loss.

I'd disable the service myself - especially if your PCs have their own real-time AV.

Message 4 of 8
DavidBa
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

The NAS been working well since I disabled the Anti-virus software. As all my PCs are running anti-virus i feel the risk is minimal.

It would be nice if Netgear could email the effected customers as it took a reasonable time to figure it out - as theh web interface is theonly tool i have to work with the NAS and I am sure that I am only scratching the surface of what it can so.

Incidently, do you have a link to some instruction about how to roll back the NAS software version?

Cheers David

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@DavidBa wrote:
Incidently, do you have a link to some instruction about how to roll back the NAS software version?

It is not difficult to roll back to 6.4.0.  Going back further is painful, and requires a factory reset. (basically you first downgrade to 6.4.0 beta, then downgrade again to 6.2.4, then you have to do the factory reset).

But within 6.4.x, all you need to do is download the zip file of the release, and extract the img file within it.  Then go to system->settings, and click on "manual update".  Then choose the image file, and follow the prompts.

Message 6 of 8
bamcw328i
Aspirant

Any udpate on a fix for this issue from Netgear?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@bamcw328i wrote:

Any udpate on a fix for this issue from Netgear?

https://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30436/

Or install 6.5.0 beta

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements