× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded HDD not adding to overall capacity -Readynas 104

Nico76
Aspirant

Upgraded HDD not adding to overall capacity -Readynas 104

Hi All. I've recently upgraded from 2 X 2 & 2 X 4tb drives in my as by replacing o e of the 2tb drives with a WD red 6tb. After 48 hours rebuilding I can now see all 4 drives 6, 4, 4, 2, however my data capacity remains at 6.85tv??
Bad is setup with raid 5 / X-raid & has firmware 6.4.2

Any assistance is appreciated.
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgraded HDD not adding to overall capacity -Readynas 104

@Nico76 wrote:
Hi All. I've recently upgraded from 2 X 2 & 2 X 4tb drives in my as by replacing o e of the 2tb drives with a WD red 6tb. After 48 hours rebuilding I can now see all 4 drives 6, 4, 4, 2, however my data capacity remains at 6.85tv??

You should see a 2 TB increase in capacity when it is finished.

Is the rebuilding completely finished, or is it still in progress?  

Message 2 of 12
Nico76
Aspirant

Rebuild is complete. There has been no increase to my overall capacity.
Message 3 of 12
Nico76
Aspirant

Message 4 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are two problems:

1. Your 2TB disk (WD20EARS) has 568 ATA errors. This huge count would suggest this disk may be in a bad way, however this count hasn't risen since the disk was installed last year.
  2. Your 6TB disk failed to be added to the second RAID layer. It is currently marked as a spare.

Do you have a backup? If not, I would suggest backing up your data as the next step.

Message 6 of 12
Nico76
Aspirant

Ok. I'll remove the faulty 2tb disk and replace with the 2tb disk i recently removed.

Also, you say "Your 6TB disk failed to be added to the second RAID layer. It is currently marked as a spare.". How do I change this so it is on the same layer as other discs and added to the overall capacity of the drives 4 + 4 + 2 + 6 ??

I don't want it to be a "spare"!

Thanks,

Nick

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No, I wouldn't put the disk you recently removed back in. That disk model isn't a good one.

The problem of the disk being marked as spare can easily be fixed from the backend. I have sent you a PM.

Message 8 of 12
Nico76
Aspirant

Can you pelase tell em how to fix it? I don't know what the "backend" is!? 

Message 9 of 12
Nico76
Aspirant

Sorry, got your private message. Thx.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

No, I wouldn't put the disk you recently removed back in. That disk model isn't a good one.

I agree.  Seagate DM drives are less reliable choices for NAS/RAID than other models.  Their NAS-purposed (VN) and enterprise drives are much better options.  

I'm not suggesting that you replace your other Seagate (the ST4000DM000) though - there are no indications that it is misbehaving.  But I would suggest that you avoid desktop models in the future.

The WD20EARS perhaps should be replaced, but it doesn't seem likely to have caused the expansion issue.  The ATA errors have been stable for a long time,  Plus the WD20EARS isn't even in the layer that failed to expand. If you do want to replace it, you could go with a WD20EFRX.   Of course a second WD60EFRX would work too.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Nico76 wrote:

I don't know what the "backend" is!? 

It's a term that's recently started showing up here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_and_back_ends  

Basically it means "stuff that Netgear can tweak through ssh access to the NAS, but which can't be done through the web ui".  

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements