× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading ReadyNAS RN3130

Chappy316
Aspirant

Upgrading ReadyNAS RN3130

I am running a ReadyNAS RN3130 with four 4tb drives for home storage and have a drive that is failing. I keep business files, business photos, personal photos and all of our backups for devices. Ideally I do not want to lose any data but I would also like to upgrade on the free space I currently have.

I can't find a hard answer as to how hard, or not hard, this process is going to be.

I would like to upgrade to Western Digital WUH721414ALE6L4 14tb drives if the hardware will support it. Plan was to buy four matching drives and swap the degraded drive first then each of the other three over the course of a week or so. Just wanting to commit, get the size we should never have to worry about, and be done.

Is it really as simple as swapping for larger drives? Will the RN3130 pick up the larger drives and adjust free space accordingly? After looking at Hardware Compatibilty, it looks like the drives will work based on "test results of another disk in the same series" it says.

Currently running Firmware 6.9.4 Hotfix 1 with no issues other than the failing drive.

Thanks!

Model: RN3130|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-BAY (DISKLESS)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading ReadyNAS RN3130

@Chappy316 wrote:

I would like to upgrade to Western Digital WUH721414ALE6L4 14tb drives if the hardware will support it. 

Those drives should be fine - enterprise class.  Though Netgear is very slow to add drives to their compatibility list, as you found, this particular drive is on it.  The WD Red Pro, the Seagate Exos or Ironwolf Pro would also work.

@Chappy316 wrote:

Plan was to buy four matching drives and swap the degraded drive first then each of the other three over the course of a week or so. Just wanting to commit, get the size we should never have to worry about, and be done.

FWIW, if you do want to do all four now, it would be faster to back up the NAS, and then do a fresh install with all the new disks in place.  Then reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup. 

The reason it's faster is the repeated resyncs needed with one-at-at-time.  Every resync requires either reading or writing every sector in the volume.  So the first resync requires 16 TB of access (the extra space on the 14 TB drive isn't processed), the second requires 36 TB, the third requires 46, the the last requires 56 TB.  All four add up to 154 TB of disk I/O.  Building the volume once with a fresh install only requires 56 TB.

@Chappy316 wrote:

then each of the other three over the course of a week or so. Just wanting to commit, get the size we should never have to worry about, and be done.

While I understand that motivation, it likely will be less expensive to upgrade it over time.  Disk capacities are expected to increase quite a bit over the next few years as HAMR/MAMR technology is introduced.  So prices on the 14 TB drives will drop.

Just replacing two disks now will increase your space by 10 TB.

Also, replacing all four sequentially will almost certainly take more than a week, and the NAS performance will be slower than usual during the resyncs.  Of course doing all-at-once would result in no access to the data until it is restored from backup.

@Chappy316 wrote:

Ideally I do not want to lose any data...

Is it really as simple as swapping for larger drives? Will the RN3130 pick up the larger drives and adjust free space accordingly?

The sequential process is as simple as hot-swapping each drive and waiting for the resync to finish, and then hot swapping the next.

The all-at-once approach is more complicated (requiring reconfiguring the NAS), but as I noted it is faster overall.

Data safety is a consideration, particularly since the volume is already degraded.

RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, so hopefully you do have a backup plan in place for the NAS already. If not, you should take care of that as part of the upgrade.  Your backup plan needs to expand as your storage needs increase.  So maybe consider upgrading just a pair of disks now, and adding two more USB backup drives (as an alternative to upgrading everything now).

Either way, the data is particularly vulnerable now, and there is no RAID protection when the volume is being resynced.  If a second one of the original disks fails during the repeated resyncs, you will lose the data. This isn't as unlikely as you might think - the original disks were likely all installed together, and experienced near identical loads and environmental conditions. And all that disk I/O during the resync does stress the disks. So whether you do the upgrade sequentially or all-at-once, you really should back up the data first.

One benefit of the "all at once" approach is that you actually have two copies of the data to fall back on.  You'd have the standalone backup that you make, and the original three working disks that you removed.  If something goes wrong with the standalone backup, you can power down, insert the original three disks (other slot empty), and power back up.  That will give you another shot at getting back the data.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If all the drives currently in the NAS are of the same vintage as the one that has failed, then a second failure during re-sync, which would render your volume dead, is certainly a possibility.  And swapping drives incrementally is going to triple the extra stress of a sync.  So going with a complete new volume is that way I'd go.  You can backup the configuration file, too.  Just make sure you re-install any apps before you restore the configuration.  But even if you are going with all new drives, you don't need to start with all four.  Starting with just what you need spaces out the purchases, which affects your investment, but perhaps more importantly insures all the drives aren't from the same lot and starts putting life on them incrementally, so near-term failure of a second drive is less likely down the road.  One advantage of XRAID is that there is no need to fill a unit to start to insure you get full use from the drives once it is full.

Whether or not you really need yet another backup of backup data is something you can decide.  But having had to inform folks here that their precious family photos are lost because they trusted that RAID (and, more importantly, the hardware on which it resides) is bulletproof, I can say that any data that only exists on the NAS is vulnerable.  Over the years since my first purchase of an Infrant NV, I've only lost a volume once, though I came close when another went read-only.  But that I did have a backup of what was important to me saved my bacon.

Message 3 of 6
Chappy316
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Those drives should be fine - enterprise class.  Though Netgear is very slow to add drives to their compatibility list, as you found, this particular drive is on it.  The WD Red Pro, the Seagate Exos or Ironwolf Pro would also work.

FWIW, if you do want to do all four now, it would be faster to back up the NAS, and then do a fresh install with all the new disks in place.  Then reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup. 

The reason it's faster is the repeated resyncs needed with one-at-at-time.  Every resync requires either reading or writing every sector in the volume.  So the first resync requires 16 TB of access (the extra space on the 14 TB drive isn't processed), the second requires 36 TB, the third requires 46, the the last requires 56 TB.  All four add up to 154 TB of disk I/O.  Building the volume once with a fresh install only requires 56 TB

While I understand that motivation, it likely will be less expensive to upgrade it over time.  Disk capacities are expected to increase quite a bit over the next few years as HAMR/MAMR technology is introduced.  So prices on the 14 TB drives will drop.

Just replacing two disks now will increase your space by 10 TB.

Also, replacing all four sequentially will almost certainly take more than a week, and the NAS performance will be slower than usual during the resyncs.  Of course doing all-at-once would result in no access to the data until it is restored from backup.

The sequential process is as simple as hot-swapping each drive and waiting for the resync to finish, and then hot swapping the next.

The all-at-once approach is more complicated (requiring reconfiguring the NAS), but as I noted it is faster overall.

Data safety is a consideration, particularly since the volume is already degraded.

RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, so hopefully you do have a backup plan in place for the NAS already. If not, you should take care of that as part of the upgrade.  Your backup plan needs to expand as your storage needs increase.  So maybe consider upgrading just a pair of disks now, and adding two more USB backup drives (as an alternative to upgrading everything now).

Either way, the data is particularly vulnerable now, and there is no RAID protection when the volume is being resynced.  If a second one of the original disks fails during the repeated resyncs, you will lose the data. This isn't as unlikely as you might think - the original disks were likely all installed together, and experienced near identical loads and environmental conditions. And all that disk I/O during the resync does stress the disks. So whether you do the upgrade sequentially or all-at-once, you really should back up the data first.

One benefit of the "all at once" approach is that you actually have two copies of the data to fall back on.  You'd have the standalone backup that you make, and the original three working disks that you removed.  If something goes wrong with the standalone backup, you can power down, insert the original three disks (other slot empty), and power back up.  That will give you another shot at getting back the data.

So ideally I would get an external and backup everything on the NAS first. Then replace all the drives in the NAS and do a full resync and reload in one shot? At that time I could resync from the external onto the updated NAS array and would gain the benefit of the external backup that I created before swapping NAS drives.

Will the 3130 recognize that much disk space? The price of the drive on Amazon right now is $400 which didn't seem horrible considering I would end up above 30tb usable storage for under $1600, excluding the cost of an external to move everything to first. The tech sheet only lists "total solution capacity" as 24tb so would I even benefit from buying considerably larger drives?

I will see some increase if I upgrade at least two of the drives now? That was another concern after talking to some more tech oriented friends. They were worried that no matter what I would have to do a full resync to get the maximum space as they did not know if the RAID configuration would pick up the full size of the new drives.

I am not against the idea of an external to move to temporarily and then just swapping all of the drives. Ideally I would go that route giving me (hopefully) more than enough storage for a very long time.

Thank you very much for the help!

Message 4 of 6
Chappy316
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

If all the drives currently in the NAS are of the same vintage as the one that has failed, then a second failure during re-sync, which would render your volume dead, is certainly a possibility.  And swapping drives incrementally is going to triple the extra stress of a sync.  So going with a complete new volume is that way I'd go.  You can backup the configuration file, too.  Just make sure you re-install any apps before you restore the configuration.  But even if you are going with all new drives, you don't need to start with all four.  Starting with just what you need spaces out the purchases, which affects your investment, but perhaps more importantly insures all the drives aren't from the same lot and starts putting life on them incrementally, so near-term failure of a second drive is less likely down the road.  One advantage of XRAID is that there is no need to fill a unit to start to insure you get full use from the drives once it is full.

Whether or not you really need yet another backup of backup data is something you can decide.  But having had to inform folks here that their precious family photos are lost because they trusted that RAID (and, more importantly, the hardware on which it resides) is bulletproof, I can say that any data that only exists on the NAS is vulnerable.  Over the years since my first purchase of an Infrant NV, I've only lost a volume once, though I came close when another went read-only.  But that I did have a backup of what was important to me saved my bacon.

I am not against getting an external and moving everything to it almost as a temporary crutch. I can then keep a second copy of mission critical data stored on it for double safe keeping.

The ideal solution sounds like; external, move data to it, verify data, swap all four drives, reconfigure the RN3130, move said data back.

My biggest concern now would be if the RN3130 will support considerably larger drives than what are currently in it. It is running four 4tb drives. I would likely go to something much larger (mentioned 14tb) and be done for ever pending any other failures.

I really appreciate the help!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:
So ideally I would get an external and backup everything on the NAS first. Then replace all the drives in the NAS and do a full resync and reload in one shot? At that time I could resync from the external onto the updated NAS array and would gain the benefit of the external backup that I created before swapping NAS drives.

Yes, that would be fastest.  Plus you could continue to use the external to back up the NAS (at least the critical files).

@Chappy316 wrote:

Will the 3130 recognize that much disk space? The price of the drive on Amazon right now is $400 which didn't seem horrible considering I would end up above 30tb usable storage for under $1600, excluding the cost of an external to move everything to first. The tech sheet only lists "total solution capacity" as 24tb so would I even benefit from buying considerably larger drives?

There is no known limit to the size of the drives it can handle.  Netgear's practice is use the largest available drives when the datasheet is published (which happened to be 6 TB back then, so 4x6TB=24TB).  They don't revise the datasheets as larger drives come onto the market.

@Chappy316 wrote:

I will see some increase if I upgrade at least two of the drives now? That was another concern after talking to some more tech oriented friends. They were worried that no matter what I would have to do a full resync to get the maximum space as they did not know if the RAID configuration would pick up the full size of the new drives.

There were some expansion limits in the older generations of ReadyNAS (which ran 4.x and 5.x firmware).  But not with 6.x firmware. 

XRAID will handle mixed drive sizes.  If you look on the volume tab of the NAS Web UI, you'll see an XRAID control on the right.  If that has a green stripe through it, then you are running XRAID now. If you don't see that stripe, you can click on the control to enable it.

To get the maximum space, you need to follow a couple of rules

• have at least two drives of the largest size
  • replace a drive with either one that matches a size already in the array, or is bigger than the largest drive.

With these rules, the capacity is calculated by "summing the drives and subtracting the largest".

So 2x14+2x4TB would give you (28+8)-14, or 22TB. Each 14 TB upgrade after that adds another 10 TB, so you'd get 42 TB if you do all four.  The NAS reports TiB, so it would show ~38.

For your tech-oriented friends: What happens under the covers is that the NAS creates two RAID groups, which are then joined into one volume.  One group is the existing 4x4TB RAID-5 group.  With two drives, the second is a 2x10TB RAID-1 group (using the additional space on the 14 TB disks).  When a third drive is upgraded, the RAID-1 group is converted into a 3x10TB RAID-5 group.  The fourth upgrade would expand that to a 4x10TB RAID-5 group.

If you upgrade all four at once, you'd have a single 14x4TB RAID-5 group.  It looks the same externally (either way you get a 42 TB volume).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements