× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Urgent- no access to NAS from any Win 7 machine, can from XP

luminous
Aspirant

Urgent- no access to NAS from any Win 7 machine, can from XP

Just installed a NAS drive onto a small companies network. All users are chomping at the bit for access, but the drive is not letting anyone in.

I setup the Netgear RND2000 yesterday and created all the shares, users, groups and populated the device with the required data. The device is working as expecting when accessing it from a Windows XP machine. There is no access at all from Win 7 computers.

Win 7 setup:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - all updates and service packs installed
On a Peer to peer network (don't ask why they have professional on P2P)
All Win 7 machines using static IPs
Netgear on static IPs
Subnet masks the same
Workgroup names the same
Win 7 machine has a user account with a password
Network and file sharing settings are as follows:
Network discovery: ON
Turn file and printer sharing: ON
Turn off Public folder sharing: OFF
Media Streaming is OFF
File sharing connections: 40 or 56 Bit encryption (have tried 128)
Password protected sharing: ON
HomeGroup connections: use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers

Network Group is set to Work
IPV6 has been turned off
Local security policy manager has been opened and the following guide was followed:

5) To simplify the instructions for Windows 7 Professional (may not work for Home versions):

1. Click Start and under search programs and files start typing Local Security Policy. It'll appear at the top of the list, click on it to open.
2. Down the left side click the mark by the side of Local Policies to expand the view.
3. Next click on Security Options.
4. In the right pane locate and open Network security: LAN Manager authentication level.
5. From the drop-down list select Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.
6. Click apply and okay then close the security policy editor, you should now be able to browse to your NAS.

All of the above has made no difference. When browsing the network the NAS drive appears under the network tab, but on access attempt shows the following error:

\\NETGEARNAS is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: account currently disabled.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Urgent- no access to NAS from any Win 7 machine, can fro

What version of RAIDiator is on the Duo? Please ensure you are running the latest version 4.1.8 (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_4_1_8_Notes)

Do you have a firewall on the Win7 machines? Does temporarily disabling the firewall make a difference?
Message 2 of 4
luminous
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Disabling firewall made no difference.

I am running the latest version of the firmware, and eventually tracked down the issue. For some reason during setup when some user accounts were created we got an error "user account already exists". Of course this was not the case, but we created accounts with different usernames anyway. Later, once the usernames were added to the windows machines, if any of these happened to be user names that were on the NAS drive then access was denied.

Turned out that it was not a Windows 7 only issue, just that the XP machines were named with a different convention.
Message 3 of 4
Nutty87th
Aspirant

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

I've been struggling to work out why RaidAr could see the ReadyNAS on my XP machine, but I couldn't access its shares by conventional means.
No problems as well accessing it fully from my Mac.
The problem was as described. One of my shares had the same name as my XP login details.
As soon as I renamed that share, the ReadyNAS was visible on my XP machine for normal access.

Than you for finding the solution ... very very grateful indeed!

Please fix this bug NetGear. It's going to be very common I would have thought for someone to create a share with their first name, and have that as their computer's login name.

Cheers!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements