× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Used disks error on new ReadyNAS with new drives

chicchaz
Aspirant

Used disks error on new ReadyNAS with new drives

Hi, I have a brand new RN314 that's getting a used disks error on bootup. The disks are all new, and the same capacity, brand and model as my two previous RN314 units. 

The error says to check Raidar, which initially didn't work at all (no volume found) until I upgraded to the latest version. Now when I connect with Raidar, it works and asks if I want to format the disks. When I try to go ahead and do that, it fails and gives me a network error. At this point Raidar loses access to the NAS. I just want to get this unit up and running. Please help!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Used disks error on new ReadyNAS with new drives

Hello chicchaz,

If the disks do not have important data, factory reset the NAS with the disks inserted. This will format the disks and delete all current settings you have on the NAS allowing you to create a new volume.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello chicchaz,

If the disks do not have important data, factory reset the NAS with the disks inserted. This will format the disks and delete all current settings you have on the NAS allowing you to create a new volume.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
chicchaz
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I had tried the reset previously, but was more patient with it this time. I had to hold the reset button for several minutes to get to the boot menu. So it's now factory fresh. Thanks for your help. 

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some users don't realise that we need to wipe disks. Your disks appeared used in some way so we didn't automatically format them.

If the disks had been hooked up to your PC and if the partitions on them had been deleted the NAS then would have seen them as new disks and automatically done the factory reset with only new disks installed.

Of course when you choose the factory reset option as you did, we will try to wipe the disks regardless of whether they are used or not.

Message 4 of 7
chicchaz
Aspirant

Strange they appeared used, right out of the packaging. Ah well. that's all working now so I won't worry about it.

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should be able to change the I.P., yes.

Don't forget to specify the DNS serve addresses if you change the system's settings from picking up an I.P. via DHCP to static.

What I prefer to do is to leave the NAS picking up an I.P. via DHCP, but go into the router's settings and set a static I.P. for the MAC address of the NIC in the NAS.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

What I prefer to do is to leave the NAS picking up an I.P. via DHCP, but go into the router's settings and set a static I.P. for the MAC address of the NIC in the NAS.

Netgear routers call this "address reservation".  I also recommend it.  One reason is that it makes it easier to migrate to new routers (or change the local IP address space of your existing router).  It also centralizes the administration of your addresses.

We regularly get problems posted here when users change ISPs/routers, and forget they have assigned static addresses.  These problems can be solved, but they are easily avoided with address reservation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements