× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

User rights gets deleted when Domain Server not running

aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

User rights gets deleted when Domain Server not running

Hi all

I just bought i ReadyNAS 2100 a couple of weeks ago.

We just lost power in our server room, and the Domain Server and ReadyNAS both restarted. After this I was not able to access the ReadyNAS with my user.

The problem was that the ReadyNAS is starting quicker than the Domain Server, and the ReadyNAS cannot connect to the Domain.

The biggest problem is the following:

* ReadyNAS do not send any admin mail saying that this has occured.
* ReadnNAS is not retrying to connect after a few minutes.
* ReadyNAS is deleting all user rights when you access the WebGUI. ("This is the worst, and makes this product unusable")

Anyone have any ide how I can solve this without having to buy a UPS?
Message 1 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: User rights gets deleted when Domain Server not running

Get the ReadyNas not to start automatically after a power failure (not sure if this is possible, but worth some thought)?

Why wouldn't you get a UPS from the HCL? You can share it between the NAS and the Server if they are close enough. If you are using a NAS in an enterprise environment you should put it on a UPS. Many such as myself have a NAS on a UPS even for home use.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

I don't think that is possible without breaking the warranty.
Message 3 of 17
Grievous
Aspirant

What firmware version are you using, and using a UPS will not void your warranty.
Message 4 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

Now I'm using RAIDiator 4.2.11-T6. I had to go for the beta to solve another issue. Had the same problem with the last official release.

I mean installing ReadyNAS SSH Access addon will void the warranty. ( Not the the warranty has shown to be worth anything so far )
So that I can manually add a delay in the startup.

What I need here is to have ReadyNAS server to send an admin mail when it cannot connect to the domain, and then try again in 5 minutes without deleting all security settings.
Message 5 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

aslak.dirdal wrote:
Now I'm using RAIDiator 4.2.11-T6. I had to go for the beta to solve another issue. Had the same problem with the last official release.

There's a newer version of the 4.2.11 beta now.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

I mean installing ReadyNAS SSH Access addon will void the warranty.

That is not true:
NetGear wrote:
EnableRootSSH – With the EnableRootSSH add-on, you can now remote login to the ReadyNAS RAIDiator shell as a root user. Initial password for root will be the same as the current FrontView admin password. Please keep in mind that NETGEAR may deny support if you’ve enabled root access.

Have a read of the link in that quote which refers to a post written by the General.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

( Not the the warranty has shown to be worth anything so far )

The warranty is good. NetGear wouldn't offer 5-years if they didn't reckon the product was good quality. It's built to last. The warranty is mainly there for peace of mind.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

So that I can manually add a delay in the startup.

That could be possible I guess if you dig around, but if this hack causes problems you may be denied support for undoing your mistakes. If you have problems unrelated to what you did using SSH you shouldn't be denied support.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

What I need here is to have ReadyNAS server to send an admin mail when it cannot connect to the domain, and then try again in 5 minutes without deleting all security settings.

I guess that should be possible. However why not turn on the server before the NAS after a power failure? If you've shut the NAS down using a UPS it is monitoring, it will have to be manually restarted anyway.
Message 6 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

I don't have a UPS. And I did not know that ReadyNAS required UPS to function properly.

I do not agree that the product is of good enough quality if it cannot handle not having access to the domain server for a short period without deleting all security settings.
Support did not want to help me with this issue.
Message 7 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

aslak.dirdal wrote:
I don't have a UPS. And I did not know that ReadyNAS required UPS to function properly.

The NAS shouldn't require it. But a UPS from the HCL.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

I do not agree that the product is of good enough quality if it cannot handle not having access to the domain server for a short period without deleting all security settings.

Someone from NetGear could possibly reproduce the issue and if they can reproduce it arrange for a fix to be developed.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

Support did not want to help me with this issue.

They aren't going to help you do unsupported SSH hacks, but if those SSH hacks don't cause other problems you have they should be able to help with those. Also if they don't have a fix for an issue, one would think they should refer the issue to people qualified to attempt to reproduce the issue. But why they probably didn't want to do anything was that you are using a beta release which doesn't have much in the way of support.

If you're not happy with support you can ask them to escalate the issue and if still unhappy you can post your case number e.g in this thread for your current problem, and a Jedi if he/she has time may be able to review your case notes and if necessary take appropriate action to help get your issue resolved.
Message 8 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

They aren't going to help you do unsupported SSH hacks, but if those SSH hacks don't cause other problems you have they should be able to help with those. Also if they don't have a fix for an issue, one would think they should refer the issue to people qualified to attempt to reproduce the issue. But why they probably didn't want to do anything was that you are using a beta release which doesn't have much in the way of support.

If you're not happy with support you can ask them to escalate the issue and if still unhappy you can post your case number e.g in this thread for your current problem, and a Jedi if he/she has time may be able to review your case notes and if necessary take appropriate action to help get your issue resolved.

I was not using the beta when i called Support. Support did not even admit that this maybe was a weakness in the product, suggesting to escalate this to development. Like you are doing now. They did not really wanted to do anything.
Message 9 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

aslak.dirdal wrote:

I was not using the beta when i called Support.

Ok.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

Support did not even admit that this maybe was a weakness in the product, suggesting to escalate this to development.

Support realised they couldn't help you with this problem, so they suggested an appropriate cause of action. I guess you could call it a weakness of the product, but if properly worked around the issue shouldn't occur.
aslak.dirdal wrote:

Like you are doing now. They did not really wanted to do anything.

As just a ReadyNas user myself and not one who uses Domain Mode, I can't easily attempt to reproduce this issue. But hopefully the General or someone else from NetGear can.
Message 10 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

Can a Jedi please use "The Force" here....
Message 11 of 17
Richy_Boy
Aspirant

Just reading through this brought back memories of poor firmware releases that didn't support Windows 2000 Domains. Since 4.2.9 things have been working OK, but out of interest, if your connection to the Domain Controller is lost, will it wipe out all your share permissions as the users no longer exist? I seem to recall during 4.2.8 problems that it did - which was a major PITA!

If this is still the case, then that's a pretty shocking implimentation...

It should try and reconnect automatically then ping an email instantly if it fails IMO.

Richard
Message 12 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

Well, last week it happened again. 😞

Well, it does not happen when it looses connection to the domain controller, only if both the NAS and domain server restarts at the same time.
Domain server uses about a minute longer to start up and that causes the ReadyNAS server to start up without finding the domain controller, and therefor wipes out all users and permission settings on all shares.

I don't think our next NAS will be ReadyNAS.
Message 13 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you still haven't bought a UPS?

What firmware version are you using now?
Message 14 of 17
mattthehairy
Aspirant

Out of curiosity do you have your dc's IP address specified on the security page or is it set to auto detect?
Message 15 of 17
aslak_dirdal
Aspirant

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15

IP address is specified.
Message 16 of 17
mattthehairy
Aspirant

I'm not sure exactly what could be causing your issue... I recently had an instance where a breaker tripped in our office and a couple of items had not yet been put on a UPS, resulting in both the readyNAS and our SBS DC rebooting together. Thankfully, I did not loose any permissions when they restarted.

This past weekend we had a hurricane come through and as a precaution we did a planned shutdown of services. When restoring power and network to everything I thought of this thread and my previous experience with the breaker and decided to reboot the SBS server first and then the readyNAS just to see what would happen.

Neither the force shutdown (similar to your initial situation) or the planned shutdown caused me to loose permissions. I am on firmware 4.2.17, maybe they have fixed this issue in firmware?
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements