× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vanishing ReadyNAS Duo

gswarbrick
Aspirant

Vanishing ReadyNAS Duo

I have a ReadyNAS Duo attached to a Netgear GS605 switch and then to a TP-Link router (it was connec
ted to a Netgear WNR2000 but I swapped them in an attempt to solve this problem, which is unchanged - I also swapped the switch from a GS605 so we can rule that out).

The router assigns a reserved IP address and my Win 7 PC can see the NAS using the IP address or text hostage. RAIDar can see it and I can access the admin page in a browser. Everything works for 15-20 minutes, then the NAS vanishes - sometimes all at once, other times bit by bit - you can access it via IP but not hostname; then Windows won't see it at all, but the admin page still works; then even RAIDar can't find it - although it does still seem to be talking to the switch.

At that point all you can do is pull the plug and restart - whereupon everything works... for 15-20 minutes. The logs only show evidence of the plug being pulled - there's no indication of any problems prior to that.

Help!
Message 1 of 8
gswarbrick
Aspirant

Re: Vanishing ReadyNAS Duo

Having searched around here I found references to similar problems caused by jumbo frames. Turned them off and it happened again during a backup. Not impressed...
Message 2 of 8
dbott67
Guide

I'm assuming it's the original Duo and not the new Duo v2. What version of firmware is on the NAS? (v1 Duo's run 4.1.x and new v2's run 5.x.x).

If it's the original Duo, older versions (4.1.6 and lower) have a bug with media scanning that was corrected in later versions. See here for details: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=260

So, if not running current version (4.1.8), please update to latest version. There's also a 4.1.9 beta in the pipeline - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222.

If you're already running the latest version, it could be related to disk problems and you will need to rule them out as the source. Have a look here for things to look for and/or try: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=388
Message 3 of 8
gswarbrick
Aspirant

Thanks. It's the original duo and running 4.1.8. The disks check out OK with the SMART tests. I guess I'm going to have to pull them...
Message 4 of 8
gswarbrick
Aspirant

OK - here's the SMART reports... Not sure how to interpret them, but it does look as though Disk 1 has been down a lot more than Disk 2...

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial: WD-WCAZA7697910
Firmware: 51.0AB51
SMART Attribute
Raw Read Error Rate 971
Spin Up Time 1083
Start Stop Count 64
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 3693
Spin Retry Count 0
Calibration Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 62
Power-Off Retract Count 61
Load Cycle Count 102373
Temperature Celsius 35
Reallocated Event Count 0
Current Pending Sector 51
Offline Uncorrectable 49
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Multi Zone Error Rate 69
ATA Error Count 12

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 1937
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 2

Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial: WD-WCAZA7703760
Firmware: 51.0AB51
SMART Attribute
Raw Read Error Rate 0
Spin Up Time 1075
Start Stop Count 64
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 3819
Spin Retry Count 0
Calibration Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 62
Power-Off Retract Count 61
Load Cycle Count 94454
Temperature Celsius 35
Reallocated Event Count 0
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Multi Zone Error Rate 0
ATA Error Count 12

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 5
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

These two are the most critical for drive 1:
Offline Uncorrectable 49

If you don't have a backup, you should make one. If you see any signs at all that these two parameters are changing (or that Reallocated Sector Count is growing), then you should replace it without delay. Personally I would replace this drive now. As sphardy indicated, it could explain the vanishing act.
Message 6 of 8
gswarbrick
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
These two are the most critical for drive 1:
Offline Uncorrectable 49

If you don't have a backup, you should make one. If you see any signs at all that these two parameters are changing (or that Reallocated Sector Count is growing), then you should replace it without delay. Personally I would replace this drive now. As sphardy indicated, it could explain the vanishing act.

Thanks. I've pulled it for now and the NAS has stayed up, so it does seem to have been the problem. I'm not sure having a NAS randomly disappearing from the network without any clue as to the cause is the most robust way for a RAID drive to handle drive errors...
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disks can and do fail at any time and in a large variety of ways. Unfortunately sometimes this can't be handled gracefully.

It is important to remember that RAID is not a backup. If you store important data primarily on the ReadyNAS you should backup that data to a USB disk, another NAS or some place else. See Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements