× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very Slow Data Transfers To ReadyNAS 628X

XrayDoc88
Guide

Very Slow Data Transfers To ReadyNAS 628X

My ReadyNas 628X has been working fine.  Transfers on my Gigabit wired network have been fast.  Since the last two firmware updates, anything I try to upload to the NAS takes forever!  I don't know if the problem was created by the firmware changes.  I just noticed the slow transfers after both of the last two updates.  I've rebooted the NAS.  I have over 27 TB of free space on the default RAID 5 setup.  I can still transfer files between computers quickly.  It's just everything going to the NAS has really slowed down.  I don't know what might have changed or how to fix this.  😞

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: Very Slow Data Transfers To ReadyNAS 628X

What client are you using? Windows 10?

About what transfer speed are you getting?

Message 2 of 14
yxue
NETGEAR Expert

Which version are you using?
Message 3 of 14
XrayDoc88
Guide

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit.  Version 6.9.3 of Netgear firmware.  I'm not certain about the measured transfer speeds, but it has decreased from probably 100 MB/s to KB/s.  I just noticed some other weird behavior.

1.  Transfers may start quickly but then change to a crawl.

2.  The last two albums I dragged into my Music folder on the NAS ended up with two copies of every file.  I really can't explain this.

3.  If I'm on my ReadyCloud page and click on the "Manage" tab and then click on the "admin page" link, I get the following message:  "The Admin page can only be accessed when you are in the same network (LAN) as your device."  This makes no sense.  The computer I use to access my ReadyCloud page is on the same home network and same IP address ranges as the NAS, namely 192.168.0.X.

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you using SMB for the file transfers?

Have you tried e.g. disabling "Strict Sync" for the SMB settings for the share?

Message 5 of 14
XrayDoc88
Guide

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

Are you using SMB for the file transfers?

Have you tried e.g. disabling "Strict Sync" for the SMB settings for the share?

I've pretty much left settings on default.  When I look at the "Music" folder it lists SMB, AFP and DLNA.  Strict Syinc is checked for SMB.  I can certainly disable it, but assume the defaults ought to work pretty well for a simple home network.  Or is this wrong?

Message 6 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's worth a try. If it doesn't help you can always change the setting back. It helped the user in this thread

Message 7 of 14
XrayDoc88
Guide

I appologize for the very long delay in responding, but life got in the way of troubleshooting this annoying problem.

I unchecked "strict sync" in the share for "Movies" under SMB advanced settings.  It totally didn't work.  In fact, when I tried to upload a new movie to the NAS I was getting crazy time estimates like 80 hours.  I aborted the upload and rechecked the box.  That restored my "normal" slow transfer rate.  I uploaded a 30 GB MKV file in about 75 minutes.

Does anyone have any other ideas about this new problem?  I have the lastest firmware on my 628X ReadyNAS.  I used to be able to upload a full MKV movie in several minutes.  I have a Gigabit network and other file transfers between computers are fast.  It's only when I try to upload or download from the NAS that things don't work quickly.  I failed to mention that I tried to download one of my large MKV files from the NAS to a computer.  I got time estimates of 2-3 days, so I aborted.

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Are you using Windows File Manager?  Or are you using a different method to transfer the files (web browser or the readycloud app)?

Window File Manager gives the best speeds.  A 30GB file should take about 5 minutes over gigabit ethernet.

Message 9 of 14
XrayDoc88
Guide

I discovered something, mostly by accident.  I have used my Chrome browser inside my house exclusively to access my local ReadyNAS.  I guess I thought that was the only way or best way to do it.  Until recently, when I would drag and drop a large MKV file into my Movie folder using this browser portal, it would upload quickly.  For some unknown reason, that no longer works fast.

Yesterday I discovered that I could use the ReadyCloud system tray app to access individual folders on my ReadyNAS by double clicking on the name of the folder.  This appears to open the folder in Windows File Explorer instead of the usual webportal view.  When I copied a large MKV file in the Windows File Explorer view it worked great again.  I was getting up to 112 MB/sec transfer speed and 30 GB took about 5 minutes.

1. Is the system tray app the way I'm supposed to interact with my NAS when I'm in the house?

2. Is the ReadyCloud web browser method supposed to only be used when you're remote to your LAN?

3. Why do you think my transfer speeds used to be fast using the web browser and now they just don't work properly?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Personally, I don't use ReadyCloud at all.  And unless you use it for remote access to your NAS, you have no reason to use it, either.  My "Movies" folder is accessed through Windows File Manager (or Windows Explorer, but some confuse that with Internet Explorer) as \\192.168.0.42\Movies using a local NAS account.

Note that if you use Personal Folders, your ReadyCloud user folder cannot be accessed as a local user (one reason I don't use ReadyCloud).

I use ZeroTier VPN for remote access.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

My "Movies" folder is accessed through Windows File Manager as \\192.168.0.42\Movies using a local NAS account.

Yes, Windows File Explorer is the fastest way for you to transfer files. That's the application that you launch when you click on "This PC" or "Documents".

You can enter either the nas hostname or its IP address into the address bar.  You do need to put the \\ in front of that (being careful on the slash direction).

You can either create a NAS account using it's web UI, or you can use the built-in NAS admin account.

Message 12 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Hostname may or may not work.  It has stopped working on two of my PC's since the latest Win10 update.  It shows up in "Network", but clicking on it or a mapped drive using the host name or manually typing it into Windows Explorer causes it to go off to never-never land for a couple minutes and finally say the device cannot be found.  No prompt for a user ID and password or anything, it just no longer works.  If I click on the device in the Network window, the address bar does a green "updating" sweep, but it does no good.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Hostname may or may not work. 

Yes.  That's always been the case, but I agree it's gotten more problematic lately.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements