× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

'Volume creation failed' for the second hard drive in ReadyNAS 102, please help

AndreasLi
Aspirant

'Volume creation failed' for the second hard drive in ReadyNAS 102, please help

I just bought the 2nd HDD, a WD red pro 6TB, to expand space for my RN102.

I tried to format it and make it into a new volume, but it always says: 'Volume creation failed'. The error info are attach in the picture below. 

I found out the 1st disk, a 3TB WD red HDD, was configured as RAID1, and guess this might be the problem. 

Should I backup all 3TB data of HDD1, and format it to RAID0, then move all data back to it, then set the 2nd HDD to a new volume? 

Because I only have these 2 big volume hard disks. Could you suggest me a way to do it? 

Many thank!!

Model: ReadyNAS 102

Firmware: 6.10.3

1st Hard disk: WD30EFRX, 3TB

2nd Hard disk: WD6003FFBX, 6TB

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: 'Volume creation failed' for the second hard drive in ReadyNAS 102, please help

@AndreasLi wrote:

I found out the 1st disk, a 3TB WD red HDD, was configured as RAID1, and guess this might be the problem. 

No.  That's confusing, but actually normal.

Can you test the new disk with WD's Lifeguard software in a Windows PC?  You can connect it with a USB adapter/dock if you can't use SATA.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: 'Volume creation failed' for the second hard drive in ReadyNAS 102, please help

And you are selecting the volume type as JBOD?  As you have found and @StephenB confirmed, that's really a one-drive RAID1 "under the covers", but that really shouldn't matter here.

Message 3 of 5
AndreasLi
Aspirant

I put it in a HDD Enclosure and start the diagnostics. It just beeping constantly... I remember when I put it in the NAS, it also beeped for a few seconds. 

Then it seems an issue on the HDD itself. I'm now checking how can I return it to WD now 😞 

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@AndreasLi wrote:

I put it in a HDD Enclosure and start the diagnostics. It just beeping constantly...

Definitely the drive then.

Exchange it with the seller if you can, they should give you a new drivewith a full warranty in return.  WD will give you a recertified one (with only a one year warranty).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements