× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume missing following crash and rebuild

tyrrminal
Aspirant

Volume missing following crash and rebuild

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 running RAIDiator 5.3.12

When I woke up this morning I found that my NAS was turned off. I turned it back on and it immediately started an array rebuild (4x3 TB Toshiba disks, X-RAID). While it was rebuilding, I was able to view and access files on the NAS throughout the day (the rebuild took around 14 hours).

When the rebuild completed, I tried to access my files and received errors, so I rebooted the device. Once it came back up, it no longer shows my volume from the array, although it shows all disks as healthy. I suspect/hope that the data is intact, but the device just has become unconfigured for accessing it. I have ssh access, but I need guidance for how to go about recovering this.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume missing following crash and rebuild

@tyrrminal wrote:

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 running RAIDiator 5.3.12

When I woke up this morning I found that my NAS was turned off. I turned it back on and it immediately started an array rebuild (4x3 TB Toshiba disks, X-RAID). While it was rebuilding, I was able to view and access files on the NAS throughout the day (the rebuild took around 14 hours).

When the rebuild completed, I tried to access my files and received errors, so I rebooted the device. Once it came back up, it no longer shows my volume from the array, although it shows all disks as healthy. I suspect/hope that the data is intact, but the device just has become unconfigured for accessing it. I have ssh access, but I need guidance for how to go about recovering this.

Have you downloaded the full log zip file?  There are likely more clues in the logs.

Message 2 of 4
tyrrminal
Aspirant

The Logs section of the Dashboard just says "No Logs" and the Download Logs button does nothing

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@tyrrminal wrote:

I have ssh access, but I need guidance for how to go about recovering this.

First enter

cat /proc/partitions

Check that all disks are shown.  

Check the disk health for thost disks using smartctl

smartctl -x /dev/sda
smartctl -x /dev/sdb
smartctl -x /dev/sdc
smartctl -x /dev/sdd

Look for

• errors in the smart stats (pending sectors, reallocated sectors, etc)
  • failures in the SMART Extended Self-test Log section
  • errors in the SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log 

Then

cat /proc/mdstat

and see what RAID arrays are assembled.

Last try

mdadm --examine /dev/sd[a-d][3-6]

You can post back with the output of these commands.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements