× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Warm Standby Ultra

steveoelliott
Luminary

Warm Standby Ultra

Hi all,

I have 2 ReadyNAS Pro 6's.

Primary has 4 disks, dual redundancy, X-RAID2
Backup will have 2 disks, RAID-0 / mirror.

If I were to have one as a warm standby NAS, which had only 2 disks configured as Raid 0 (Basically mirroring the primary). If the primary NAS were to fail due to some kind of non disk related failure, could I simply pull the 4 disks out of the primary, shutdown the backup and insert them in same order, then power it on? The expectation being that the device would just boot up and perform as the old primary.

I know in theory this should work but then the RAID setups of the 2 devices are different.

Thanks...
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Warm Standby Ultra

Yes. You would need to remove the disks from the backup NAS before moving the disks across from the primary. It also a good idea to run the same firmware on both NAS units.

There is a FAQ entry on migrating disks from one NAS to another.
Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You would be able to do this as long as both NAS are x86 platforms. The configuration (including RAID setup) is in the OS partition of the drives, and is not stored in the NAS flash.

You would want to make sure the firmware is synced between the primary and the backup.

BTW, on the backup machine: If you use RAID-0 to aggregate both disks, then a failure of either disk destroys the entire array. It would be more robust if you have one volume on each drive. It is a bit more trouble when creating the backup jobs, and you do need to balance the space between the two volumes manually. However, if a disk fails you'd still have half the data on the backup if you keep the drives independent.
Message 3 of 4
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks Guys. I meant to say backup unit running Raid-1 so we have a mirror, allowing the failure of one of the 2 disks.

The main thing was the fact that the RAID config is on the disks and not the flash.

Both units would be running same FW.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements